Skip the Line: Crypts and Roman Catacombs Small Group Walking Tour
- Small-group tour by minibus
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Skip the line
- All entrance fees included
Hear the history and then head back above ground to stroll to the Appian Way. One of the world’s longest roads, it’s also known for being home to the catacombs – nearly 186 miles (300km) of underground tunnels that were used as burial chambers by Rome’s early Christians. Skip past any entrance lines and go below ground with your guide to visit the largest one – Domitilla Catacombs (Catacomb di Santa Domitilla) – and marvel at the treasures that lie deep beneath the city. Christianity was once banned in Rome and so the catacombs provided a peaceful sanctuary where they could worship. Marvel at the Christian wall paintings and see an underground 4th-century church, too.
Head back above ground and walk to your tour’s final highlight, the Basilica of San Clemente. A one-of-a-kind church, the basilica actually comprises three buildings – from the 2nd, 4th and 12th centuries – each built on top of the other. Skip the lines outside and as you explore with your guide, you’ll see different slices of Rome’s history, noting how the architecture gets grander in each building. Admire magnificent Renaissance and 11th-century frescoes and pose for pictures under an eye-catching mosaic.
Your tour finishes inside the Basilica of San Clemente, and you can stay longer if you wish to soak up the splendor of the church at your own pace.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Crypts and Roman Catacombs Small Group Walking Tour
- Entrance fees: Capuchin Crypt, Domitilla Catacombs and Basilica di San Clemente
- Skip-the-line entry to Domitilla Catacombs and Basilica di San Clemente
- Professional guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 24 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required for entry into some of the sites on this tour. Knees and shoulders must be covered
Reviewed by: Robyn R, August 2014
The guide was both informative and interesting. She made the effort to make sure that everyone on the tour, including children, were involved and had their questions answered. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Rome, who would like a tour beyond that of the boring headsets and would like to see sites usually ignored by most guides.
Reviewed by: Megan, August 2014
We really enjoyed this tour with our amazing guide, Rebecca. She was so knowledgeable about ancient Rome, the crypts, San Clemente Basilica and the Capuchin Crypt. We loved her enthusiasm. After many tours, my teenage boys (ages 13, 15 and 18) found this one to be the most fascinating.