Select a datex
Be astounded by the natural beauty of the Franz Josef Glacier on a small-group glacier walk. Travel by helicopter to the pinnacles area of the glacier to explore this magnificent natural wonder. Your guide will navigate you on a moderately difficult hike through a maze of ice and explain the dramatic environmental changes affecting the glacier. Afterwards, take a soak in the hot pools to warm up and soothe your muscles. This small-group tour is a fantastic introduction to an enthralling world of ice!
- Scenic helicopter flight
- Small group ensures personal service
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Start your journey with a short helicopter flight and take in the breathtaking scenery of the Franz Josef Glacier and the surrounding area. Land high up on the glacier near the ice pinnacles, where you will begin your guided walk on a moderately difficult trail.. The pinnacles are an amazing sight: a forest of ice formations that jut out from the glacier at different angles. Walk through the maze of ice and explore the magnificent natural landscape, while discovering first-hand the dramatic environmental changes that are affecting the glacier.
Afterward your thrilling glacier hike, return back to Franz Josef by helicopter and relax with a soak in the Glacier Hot Pools. These hot pools are nestled in a lush rainforest and are sourced by pure glacier water. Sit back, relax and rejuvenate your muscles in the soothing water -- a perfect way to end the day. The Franz Josef Glacier is a unique experience not to be missed!
Franz Josef Glacier
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Franz Josef Glacier Guides Base
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 8:15am
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 9am
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 10:40am
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 11:25am
Franz Josef Ice Explorer
- Round-trip helicopter flights to Franz Joseph Glacier
- 3-hours (approx.) guided glacier walk
- Glacier Hot Pools
- Equipment: Gore-tex jackets, over trousers, woolen hats and gloves, leather boots, crampons
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Glacier walks are moderately difficult, as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels, i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Two to four warm upper- body layers of clothing are recommended, quick-drying trousers or shorts (no jeans), a hat and gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen and a camera
- Franz Josef Glacier receives 16 feet (5 meters) of annual rainfall; refunds will not be given if you decide not to participate because it is raining or because you may get wet feet during the trip
- Please bring a bathing suit for the Glacier Hot Pools
You must present a paper voucher for this tour. We will email a link to access and print your voucher at the Lead Travelers email address. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.