Lord of the Rings - Journey to Edoras from Christchurch
Immerse yourself in the magic of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on this 9-hour adventure to Edoras (Mount Sunday) from Christchurch. Explore with your guide and soak up breathtaking views from the peak of Edoras. Look over exclusive behind-the-scenes photographs of Edoras under construction. Pose for photographs with movie replicas such as Aragorn’s sword, Gimli’s axe and the flag of Rohan. Enjoy a delicious picnic lunch with Champagne. See for yourself how this tranquil mountainside was transformed into mysterious Edoras — the capital city of the Rohan people.
- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Get off the beaten track in a 4x4
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Lunch included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
Begin your Lord of the Rings adventure with a morning pickup from your Christchurch hotel and head west by 4-wheel drive vehicle to Mount Sunday, better-known to Lord of the Rings fans as Edoras — the capital city of the Rohan people.
Bounce over rocky terrain and through narrow streams, and alight at Edoras itself. Follow your friendly guide on a tour of the site and stand on the summit — as Eowyn did — for panoramic views over the alpine lakes, mountain peaks, rivers and high-country farm land below.
With informative and entertaining commentary from your guide, take a look at behind-the-scenes photos of Edoras under construction — available only from your tour leaders. Marvel at the Misty Mountains — among the most significant features of Middle-earth’s geography — and see the valley backdrop of the imposing Helms Deep.
After a delicious picnic lunch with Champagne, handle movie replicas such as Aragorn’s sword, King Theoden’s sword, Gimli’s axe and the flag of Rohan. Peruse the wide selection of movie merchandise and perhaps pick up a souvenir of your visit (own expense).
During your time on the mountain, gain insight into Edoras’ magic and mystery. Learn why this special site was selected for the Lord of the Rings movie and enjoy feeling part of the action.
When your time on Edoras comes to an end, hop back in your vehicle for the drive back to your Christchurch hotel, where your Lord of the Rings adventure will come to an end.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Lord of the Rings - Journey to Edoras Tour
- Picnic lunch
- Live commentary on board
- Transport by private 4WD vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for child aged 4 and under
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Please wear good footwear and bring along a warm jacket
* Piece of cake
* Orange juice
* Glass of bubbles (NZ champagne)
Please advise any special dietary requirements at time of booking
Reviewed by: mary l, July 2015
We enjoyed this tour so much! The highlight of my family's trip to New Zealand by far.
Reviewed by: robharper_30, May 2015
A brilliant day and an ambition fulfilled. Very informative. Only critiscism was that the vehicle used was a little cramped but that didn't detract from the enjoyment.