Stroll through rural bamboo groves and visit mountain temples outside Kyoto on this morning walking tour of the Sagano and Arashiyama districts. You'll experience the tranquil beauty of Japan's rural temples and gardens, and experience Japanese life outside the big cities.
- Instant Confirmation
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Hotel pickup included
Your morning walk begins at Sagano, northwest of the Kyoto Basin, with a stroll through the verdant Sagano Bamboo Grove surrounded by mountains in the greater area of Arashiyama.
Then it's on to Jojakkoji Temple, spectacularly located halfway up a mountain. Jojakkoji was the final home of Empress Dowager Kenrei-mon-in, a principal character in the Tale of the Heike, one of the most important works of classical Japanese literature. It is said to have been built as a nunnery, and has a history reaching back to the 6th century. The temple's principal treasure is a statue of the Jizo and a pagoda surrounded by Japanese maples.
Next you'll visit Tenryuji Temple, one of the head temples of the Rinzai Zen School and established in 1339 by Takauji, the first shogun of the Ashikaga Shogunate. The temple is famous for its landscaped garden, which unlike the temple buildings has survived in its original form.
Finally, you'll take a walk over Togetsukyo Bridge (Crossing Moon Bridge). The present bridge was rebuilt in 1934 using steel but faithfully copying the structure of the original bridge.
Outside Tenryu-ji Temple, Arashiyama in Kyoto
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from selected hotels in Kyoto
- 8:35am from New Miyako Hotel
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Tour concludes at the Kyoto train station at 1:00pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Sagano Bamboo Grove
- Hotel pickup (from selected Kyoto hotels only) by motorcoach
- 4-hour walking tour
- Admission Fees
- English-speaking guide
- Food and Beverages
- Hotel drop off
- Confirmation for this tour will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 7 days of your tour date. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This is a walking tour, wearing comfortable shoes is recommended
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Order of tour is subject to change
Terms and Conditions:
If you cancel at least 8 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.