Kona Shore Excursion: Kona History and Culture Tour
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
Today, you can experience the peace of Puuhonua o Honoaunau National Historical Park, where ancient temples and ki’i (carved wooden images) hint at stories from the past. Stroll around this palm-covered sanctuary and enjoy the view of Honaunau Bay.
Continue your historical journey to St. Benedict’s Painted Church, where Belgian-born Father Velghe’s three-dimensional paintings depict heroes from the Bible. This artwork served as an important teaching tool in a time when many people couldn’t read and write. Father Velghe painted this church in 1842, and this parish continues the work Father Velghe began more than a century ago.
Finish your shore excursion at the Royal Kona Coffee Visitor Center, where you’ll see how coffee “cherries” are processed into delicious Royal Kona coffee. Enjoy the view of Kealakekua Bay in the distance and savor a sample of Kona coffee.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return back to the ship in Kona Pier for this activity. If your ship is delayed and you are unable attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This shore excursion can only be booked by Norwegian Cruise Line Pride of America passengers, Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Sea passengers, and Carnival Spirit passengers
Reviewed by: rogerryberg, January 2014
Very informative and enjoyable.
Reviewed by: Jane J, February 2013
Great trip - just as advertised.