Perhaps Chicago's most identifiable claim to fame resides in its architecture. The prototype of the modern industrial metropolis arose from the charred landscape left by the Great Fire of 1871. Many of Chicago's surviving buildings are the forefathers of the great modern skyscrapers and on this walking tour you will discover the historic beginnings of the Chicago School of Architecture and the earliest skyscrapers, built between the 1870s and the 1930s.
The tour features numerous buildings in Chicago's Loop that were built in this era, including:
- Chicago Board of Trade Building, one of the city's finest examples of Art Deco architecture
- The Auditorium Building, a Louis Sullivan masterpiece
- The Rookery, a National Historic Landmark
Learn about the architects who influenced the city's architecture and view their creations on this guided walking tour, sampling Chicago's rich past. As they say in Chicago, "The City is Our Museum" so come walk with the experts!
Historic Loop Skyscrapers
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Please meet 15 minutes before departure at the CAF’s Shop & Tour Center 224 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Historic Loop Skyscrapers
- Historic walking tour of Chicago's Architecture
- Narration by a professional and certified Guide
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- ArchiCenter is operated by the Chicago Architecture Foundation and is located at 224 South Michigan Avenue in the Santa Fe Building across from the Art Institute on the northwest corner of Jackson Boulevard at Michigan Avenue. Open 361 days a year from 9:30am-6:30pm Monday-Saturday, 9:30am-6:00pm Sundays
- Tour Guides are trained and certified by the CAF. As volunteers, they are exceptionally motivated, enthusiastic, and capable interpreters of Chicago's world-class architectural legacy. CAF tours are the real deal - narrated, but not scripted, led by Chicago enthusiasts
- Not recommended for young children
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.