Take a fascinating private tour to Alexandria from Cairo in the company of your own Egyptologist guide. With your own private Egyptologist guide to lead the way, you'll enjoy personalized attention on your private tour of Alexandria. As this is a private tour, you can determine the amount of time you'd like to spend at each of the sites in Alexandria you'll visit.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by a qualified Egyptologist
- Separate driver ensures your guides full attention throughout the day
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Lunch included
The second largest city in Egypt, Alexandria has an atmosphere that is more Mediterranean than Middle Eastern and is famous for its Roman remains. Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great in 312 B.C., and was the capital of Graeco-Roman Egypt.
Your first stop in this historic city is the catacombs of Kom ash-Shuqqafa, a Roman burial site whose family tomb reveals the merging of Egyptian and Roman art and architecture. Descend below ground to visit the tomb and Caracalla Hall.
Back above ground, continue to Pompey's Pillar, an 82-foot (25-meter) granite column built to honor Emperor Diocletian, who freed the besieged city and brought food to its starving people. Continuing the Roman theme, the next site your guide will show you is the Roman amphitheater, possibly the best preserved Roman site in Egypt. The site also includes the remains of a Roman street and homes.
After lunch (included) you will visit the famous Alexandria Library. In contrast to the ancient architecture found throughout Egypt, the Norwegian-designed building is a striking piece of modern design. A copy of every book published in the world is kept in the library, making it one of the great literary sites in the world. The library also houses several exhibitions relating to the history of Egypt and a display of rare antique books (additional cost).
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Centrally located Cairo and Giza hotels
- 7:00am (earlier or later departures are available until 7:30am if required, please advise at time of booking)
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Qualified Egyptologist guide
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Transport is wheelchair accessible however be prepared for uneven surfaces at the sites visited which may be difficult for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.