Imperial Rome Afternoon Tour
Book by July 31, 2014, and save 8% off our previously offered price!
- Hotel pickup included
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Tour is wheelchair accessible
Stroll to Capitoline Hill for a walk around Piazza del Campidoglio -- the beautiful 16th-century square designed by the Renaissance maestro Michelangelo. Soak up views of the Roman Forum that sits below it, and envisage life during the days when Rome was founded, around 500 BC.
Return to your coach and ride through Rome’s downtown streets, passing pretty Aventine Hill and Circus Maximus, where chariot races were held during the times of Imperial Rome. Learn about the venue itself, and hear how it was once large enough to seat a quarter of Rome’s population!
Continue to the Church of St Peter in Chains (Basilica di San Pietro in Vincoli), and head inside for a look around this fascinating 5th-century gem. As its name suggests, the church’s main attraction is the chains that bound St Peter when he was imprisoned in Rome’s Mamertine Prison. After a brief spell in the ancient city of Constantinople, the chains were returned to Rome in two pieces, yet were said to have miraculously joined together when they reached the church’s altar.
Equally intriguing is the church’s Tomb of Pope Julius II, a lavish marble vault designed and sculpted by Michelangelo. His iconic Moses sculpture takes center stage on the façade of the tomb, and as you gaze up at it in awe, your guide will talk your through its defining features.
Leave the Church of St Peter in Chains and continue your tour, by coach, to the world-famous Colosseum. Skip past the long entrance lines with your priority-access ticket and head straight inside to see where Rome’s brutal gladiatorial games once took place. Walk around the first tier with your guide, seeing where the city’s different social classes once sat, and looking into the arena to see where the battles were fought.
Your tour then finishes outside the Colosseum in the late afternoon.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30-60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
See Colosseum on the Imperial Rome Tour
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach (maximum 50 people)
- Skip-the-line Colosseum tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour is suitable for wheelchair users provided passenger is traveling with a companion who can assist them on and off the bus. Wheelchairs will be stored in the luggage area of the bus
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
Reviewed by: Colin Barrow B, July 2014
One of the best short tours of a city that I have ever experienced - due mainly to the fact that the tour guide Giorgio was exceptional. He was a Professor of History/Archaelogy who was able to impart so much knowledge - but with humour, intelligence and an obvious deep affection for Rome and its incredible history. We were picked up and dropped off at our hotel, the tour was well-paced, and we covered everything the tour promised. Finally, the tour operators in Rome seem to get a lot of negative reviews on travel websites but this seems to relate to their hop on/hop off tours rather than the one we took. I thoroughly recommend this tour.
Reviewed by: tegbjg, July 2014
Great, well worth the money.