Don’t miss this extraordinary opportunity to experience Rome as not many do! On a small-group Roman countryside bike tour of the ancient Appian Way and Catacombs, cycle in a group of 12 along a 2,300-year-old cobblestone Roman road, past an ancient sepulcher and an Imperial palace, as well as ancient Roman aqueducts. Finally, ride through Caffarella Park, a preserved strip of land in the Roman countryside that impressed 19th-century travelers like Byron, Goethe and Stendhal.
The challenging route covers a distance of roughly 19 miles (30 kilometers) including some seven or eight hills and lots of off-road terrain; for this reason, the tour is aimed at experienced cyclists with a better-than-average level of fitness.
An exceptional tour of absolute beauty, the Ancient Appian Way, Catacombs and Roman Countryside Bike Tour is a fantastic way to explore the ancient sights and landscapes that surround Rome. It’s a journey into a unique setting, in which a miraculously intact environment, free from modernization, forms a backdrop to the continuous passage of historical, cultural and artistic events.
Choose from a 4.5-hour, 5-hour or 6-hour tour, and after putting on your helmet, set off behind your guide at a steady pace. All of the options follow an intense cycling route, covering lots of off-road and hilly terrain. Take the 4.5-hour tour to see the sights of the Appian Way from your bike -- with few stops -- or alternatively, take the 5-hour tour (October only) or the 6-hour tour. The longer options include lengthier stops; both include a visit to a Roman sheep farm to relax over wine and cheese, and the 6-hour tour includes a guided tour of the Catacombs, too.
All options include additional sights like:
- Trajan's Thermal baths
- Caracalla's Thermal baths
- S. Sebastian Door
- Aurelian Walls
- Ancient Appian Way
- S. Callisto Catacombs
- Circus of Maxentius
- Tomb of Caecilia Metella
- Tombs and Tumulus Ruins
- Ninfeum of Villa Quintili
- Aqueduct Park (Claudius and Felix)
- Caffarella Park
- Ninfeum of Egeria
Ancient Appian Way Bike Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Central Rome
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
6-hour bike tour departing 8am.
6-hour bike tour departing at 10:30am
6-hour bike tour departing 1pm.
6-hour bike tour departing at 2pm
Ancient Appian Way Bike Tour
- Guided visit of the Catacombs of S. Callisto (6-hour tour only)
- Cheese and wine aperitif in Caffarella Park (6-hour and 5-hour tour only)
- 27-gear trekking bike
- Rain coat (if necessary)
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- We require all customers to wear a helmet (provided for free)
- Infants aged 1 - 4 years of age travel free of charge. Baby seats are provided up to 45 lbs (20 kg)
- During February the Catacombs are closed: tour will last only five hours in this case
- You will cover an area of approximately 19 miles (30 Km); the ride is leisurely but eventually will go uphill and off-road, so a medium to high level of fitness is recommended
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Absolutely! The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all, meaning you are able to enjoy your ride around the city in total relaxation and safety and you won't have to worry about traffic
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.