Combine a scenic helicopter flight over Franz Josef Glacier with a two-hour guided walk amongst the ice caves, pinnacles and seracs of New Zealand's South Island. You'll learn about glacier processes and enjoy supreme panoramic views on your small group tour, as your local guide shows you the most spectacular ice formations.
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Scenic helicopter flight
- All necessary equipment included
With its ability to hover, land and provide access to some of the most remote areas, your helicopter ride is the ideal choice for sightseeing, taking you right up close to towering peaks, crevasse filled glaciers and sparkling waterways.
You'll land high up on the glacier between two icefalls where your guided hike begins. Follow your professional guide into the most spectacular icefall terrain, only usually seen by experienced mountaineers. With a spotless safety record, rigid assessments, and the use of exclusive quality equipment, your safety and enjoyment is always accounted for.
Afterwards, you'll re-embark the helicopter for a transfer back to the township of Franz Josef.
The fleet consists predominately of European AS355 Twin Engine Squirrels (seats 06 passengers plus pilot). They are ideal aircraft for scenic flights, with an open plan cabin making for excellent views for all passengers. The Helicopter Line has the highest levels of Civil Aviation Authority certification for scenic helicopter operations, this involves regular monitoring and audit of all aspects of the operations.
Heli Hiking Franz Josef
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:The Helicopter Line Base
- The departure times are usually as follows:
- 9:30am, 12:00pm and 2:30pm - October to April
- 11:00am and 1:30pm - May to September
All flight times are approximate and subject to change due to weather conditions and weight restrictions.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Heli Hiking Franz Josef
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- 10 minute helicopter flight to Franz Josef Icefall
- Glacier landing and pickup
- 2 hour hike amongst glacial ice formations
- Professional guide
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, talonz, socks, an ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Gratuity (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children 9 years and under are not permitted to participate
- It is recommended that warm clothing and suitable footwear be worn on this tour due to cold temperatures. Moderate fitness is required
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
Itinerary:What to Bring:
- Warm upper body clothing (preferably 3-4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one)
You must present a paper voucher for this tour. We will email a link to access and print your voucher at the Lead Travelers email address. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.