See the lava fields on a comprehensive, full-day Big Island Hawaii Volcano tour. You'll explore Hawaii Volcano National Park, Kilauea Volcano and Big Island of Hawaii's lava flows and craters, and learn about the natural history of this amazing part of the world along the way.
- Fully narrated tour
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
The recent eruptions of Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii Volcano National Park have captured the world's imagination. Kilauea tours feature the closest approach to recent lava flows allowed by Civil Defense and local authorities.
You'll explore Hawaii Volcano National Park, Thurston Lava Tube and Kilauea Volcano, and visit the Jagger Museum. If conditions are deemed safe by the National Park Service, you'll also have the opportunity to hike out onto the lava flow.
This Big Island Hawaii Volcano tour also takes you through Hilo Town and Banyan Drive, the waterfalls at Rainbow Falls (if time permits), a macadamia nut factory (seasonal), and an orchid and anthurium nursery.
Big Island Hawaii Volcano Adventure
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from Hilo hotels or Airport
- Hotel pick up is between 9:00am and 9:30am
Return Details:Returns to original departure point at approximately 6:00pm to 6:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Big Island Volcano Adventure
- National Park fees
- Transportation by air-conditioned motorcoach or minibus
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Local taxes
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A light sweater may be needed at the volcano area and sturdy walking shoes are required
- Passengers with asthma and other respiratory problems should please consider other tour offerings to avoid potential health problems resulting from exposure to fumes
- As we cannot predict volcanic activity, features may vary daily depending on conditions. In an effort to make this an unforgettable experience, the tour operators will take you as close as possible to the volcanic activity
- Lava sightings not guaranteed
Please read the following cautionary comments before selecting this tour:
- When lava enters the ocean, the intense heat produces a plume cloud with dangerous and potentially life threatening toxic gases, super heated steam, and hydrochloric acid. Airborne particles are a hazard to your eyes and lungs. Watch for shifting winds that can blow acid mist clouds over you. Leave the area at once.
- Where lava enters the ocean the coastline is extended. This new surface is unstable and may collapse at any time without warning. Do not approach areas where lava is entering the ocean.
- Sharp lava cracks and holes, loose rock, and thin crust greatly increase your risk of getting hurt. Falling on lava can result in nasty wounds. Wear sturdy walking shoes. Use sunscreen, wear a hat, and drink plenty of fluids.
- If inland flows are present, and you use caution, you may have an opportunity to view fresh lava close up. Follow marked routes and your guides instructions. Molten lava is 2000 degrees F, so keep a safe distance and never go into areas where your escape route may be cut off. Do not throw objects into lava as this can cause burns from spattering lava or eye injuries from airborne volcanic glass fragments. BE AWARE, STAY ALERT, AND USE CAUTION AT ALL TIMES, DO NOT TAKE CHANCES.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.