Kaikoura Whale Watch Day Tour from Christchurch
- Instant Confirmation
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Free drinks included
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
In Kaikoura, meet your boat for your whale-watching tour with expert local guides. As you cruise, learn about the town, its whaling history and its natural features. Not far offshore lies the Hikurangi Trench, which creates the upwelling that attracts an abundance of marine life. If you’re lucky, you find the gentle giants of the sea and can watch them breach, spout and lift their mighty fins and tails out of the water.
While Giant Sperm Whales are the stars of the show and live here year-round, you might also see New Zealand fur seals, dusky dolphins and, depending on the season, migrating humpback whales, pilot whales, blue whales and southern right whales. Kaikoura’s waters also host the world's largest dolphins—the orca–and the world's smallest and rarest—Hector’s dolphins.
On the feathered side of life, Kaikoura has the largest concentration and variety of seabirds on mainland New Zealand, with 13 species of albatross, 14 varieties of petrels and 7 types of shearwaters.
After your whale-watching cruise, take a break for a tasty lunch at a local restaurant with great views of the snow-dusted mountains of the Seaward Kaikoura Range dropping down to the sea. Have the option to include the lunch in your tour at additional cost, or to purchase your own meal.
Once you have refueled, hop back on the bus to visit a nearby New Zealand fur seal colony where you can observe the seals at close quarters. Then begin your return journey to Christchurch, stopping at a North Canterbury vineyard for a wine tasting as time allows. Your tour ends in the evening when your guide returns you to your hotel.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Returns to original departure point at approximately 6:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Tour excluding Lunch
Whale watch by boat, excludes lunch
Tour including Lunch
Whale watch by boat, includes lunch at a local restaurant
Kaikoura Whale Watch Day Tour from Christchurch
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board
- Whale watching tour by boat
- Lunch (if option is selected)
- Fur seal colony viewing
- North Canterbury vineyard visit and wine tasting
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation, if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Please note, infants under 3 years of age may not join the cruises but may travel on the light aircraft tours
- Once the tour has commenced only the unused portion of the tour will be refunded should the boats not sail or the planes not fly.
- If due to whale sightings or weather conditions the boat offers a partial refund, this refund will be passed on to our customers.
- If whale watch is undertaken by light aircraft and no whales are seen, no refund applies.
Kaikoura Whale Watch Refund Policy:
A decision is made at 6:30am each day, based on local weather conditions, as to whether the tour will depart Christchurch or be canceled. If the tour is canceled, clients are notified by 7:15am and no cancellation fees are charged. If the tour travels to Kaikoura and the whale watch cruises are canceled, whale watch plane tours are offered as an alternative. If clients do not wish to fly, or the plane tours are also canceled, a cash refund of NZD 80.00 per adult is given. Refund is issued on the day of the tour by the tour operator in Christchurch.
- As the wineries close at 5pm daily and on selected public holidays, a stop may not be possible. On these occasions no refund is applicable.
Reviewed by: jmetzger, November 2014
We had the most amazing day. Karen was our driver and she was great! We stopped on the way there to do some seal watching and stopped at a winery after and did some wine tasting. We did a lot of tasting in a short period of time, lol. We were most fortunate as we heard there had only been one whale sighted during tours in the prior days. Not us - we saw four!! We saw two sperm whales separate from one another and two humpbacks traveling together. As a result, we saw 2 whale tales. The whale tour crew was great as well. We traveled almost 30 nautical miles to find the sperm whales. As part of our tour we got lunch (fish and chips) which was provided by the whale tour kitchen and it was very good. All in all, a perfect day of whale watching!
Reviewed by: lesleyevans44, February 2014
this was my favourite trip.. it was all well organised and the guide was full of information which enhanced our experience .. nice lunch by the sea.. and got to see a whale .. excellent !!