Civitavecchia Shore Excursion: Rome in One Day Private Tour
Be whisked away to the heart of historic Rome for a lunch break at a traditional Roman restaurant we can recommend, or wherever your taste buds lead you! Your private, dedicated guide will be at your side for the entire day to answer all your questions, provide you with the best advice, and take you to all of the most important fountains, piazzas and monuments which include the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and much more.
No trip to Rome is complete without a stop at the Colosseum. Skip the long queues yet again and explore the interiors and bloody history of this infamous monument! Enjoy being comfortably transferred back to Civitavecchia in time the catch your ship.
Please list any special interests you have (art, architecture, history, culture) at time of booking to alert our guide, so that he or she can better prepare for your private tour.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Civitavecchia port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Civitavecchia Shore Excursion: Rome in One Day Private Tour
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop off
- Worry-Free Shore Excursion Guarantee
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- By pre-booking this tour it enables you to skip the long lines (which can take up to two hours!) to enter the Vatican Museums. Please note, all visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Tours departing Wednesday, there is a possibility that you will be unable to include St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's square. This is due to the weekly Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's square could be closed.As an alternative you will be offered and extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's rooms.
- On rare occasions St. Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, we spend a full 3-hours touring the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. We will endeavor to list any affected dates as they become available. The tour guides aim to notify guests if St. Peter’s Basilica is unexpectedly closed upon commencement of the tour. It is beyond our control so no refunds or discounts will be issued
- If you request to store your luggage for the duration of the tour, an extra fee is payable locally to your guide. The fee will be decided on a case-by-case basis
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering Vatican Museum. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that backpacks are not taken on this tour
- Cruise company
- Ship Name
- Your arrival time into Civitavecchia
- Please note, you can choose to remain in Rome or drop off to the airport also. Please specify at time of booking.
Reviewed by: Lyle T, June 2015
Booked private tour for family of 6. Would highly recommend a private tour if you're short on time and haven't visited this area before. We talked w/others on our cruise that did public transportation and they struggled w/heat and crowds. We had a clean, comfortable van that our driver maneuvered right up to the spots we needed to go which is no small feat in Rome. Got to pack the most into our short time in this spectacular city.
About the tour.. We had a bit of confusion on where to meet the driver. In hindsight, the instructions were clear that we should meet outside the port terminal, but when we got off the ship we saw other drivers at the gangway. Being new to the tour process and thinking maybe something changed, we waited at this spot. After a bit and no driver, we called the local contact and found out where to meet up. We took the shuttle and found him, but had lost an hour by the time we got going. We wound up getting everything done, but felt a little stress early on. A note in the tour instructions that some drivers will be by the ship, but yours will be at the terminal would prevent this. Once on the road, we were able to talk w/our guide, David, and settled in for the drive. We elected to tour St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, Pantheon, Piazza Narvona, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum outside only and the Forum. David did a great job of adjusting the tour as we wanted, getting us past the long lines this alone is worth the price of the tour, and sharing his knowledge of the history and important points at each stop we made. He was very knowledgeable, personable, and his English was excellent. He also took us by a take-away sandwich shop down an alley by the Pantheon that was wonderful. By the end of the day, we were very tired but had been able to see all the things we wanted to see. Our driver got us back to the ship in plenty of time so even though we got off to a rough start, the tour was everything we had hoped.
Reviewed by: Alice, July 2014
Our driver was a smoker and it was unpleasant. He did not smoke in front of us, but in the vehicle.
Our guide was the best! Bright, kind and passionate about her knowledge to share. We were with our grandchildren 10 and 13 with their parents, she did an excellent job sharing the information and keeping everyone's attention. A perfect experience with the guide.