Select a datex
Imagine taking a helicopter flight over an active volcano . Here is your chance to do just that on a helicopter tour from Rotorua. You'll spot marine life from the air, have the option of landing on one or two islands and see New Zealand's magnificent scenery from above.
- Scenic helicopter flight
Your flight takes you east over views of lakes, forest and the volcanic fault line. You'll land for approximately an hour on White Island, the most continuously active of New Zealand's volcanoes, and take a trek up to the crater. White Island soars nearly 1,000 feet (300 meters) above sea level and 70% is under the water, making it New Zealand's largest volcano.
If the option is chosen you will also land at Mount Tarawera. This volcano is made of rhyolite, a very viscous lava which does not flow easily. Tarawera has a very impressive feature a chasm which passes through all three domes and opens up their interior. The higher parts are reachable by foot.
On your return flight, keep an eye out for dolphins and schools of fish visible on the surface of the water beneath you.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from centrally located hotels in Rotorua
Te Puia, Hemo Road, Rotorua
- Your chosen time between 9:00am and 5:00pm. Please request your preferred departure time in the "Special Requirements" box. The closest available time will be allocated.
Tour returns to original departure point.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Flight plus White Island landing approx 3 hours
Flight plus White Island and Mt Tarawera landing approx 3.5 hours
Active Volcano Helicopter Landings from Rotorua
- Approximately 3 hour tour with scenic helicopter flight
- Landing at only White Island or both White Island and Mt Tarawera (depending on chosen option)
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- New Zealand Goods and Services tax (GST)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation for this tour will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Routes and flight times may vary according to weather and volcanic activity, air traffic control or pilot discretion
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 passengers per flight to operate
- Prior to your travel date, all passenger weights for the helicopter flight MUST be advised to the supplier.
- Flights are subject to weather conditions, If the weather is unfavorable on the day you have the option of postponing to another day
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Terms and Conditions:
If you cancel at least 8 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 7 and 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 30 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.