Cape Reinga and 90 Mile Beach Tour from Bay of Islands
Start your New Zealand North Island adventure day trip with a stop at the Puketi Forest, home to 1,000-year-old kauri trees, some of the most ancient trees in the world. Walk along a ground-level boardwalk that meanders around the trunks of the trees and learn more about the area from the information panels located throughout the walk.
After you leave the Puketi Forest, you’ll head to Houhora Harbour, where you will enjoy a buffet lunch at Houhora Game Fishing Club . Later you will go to Cape Reinga, the northernmost tip of New Zealand. You’ll feel as though you’re standing on the edge of the world as you watch the Pacific Ocean collide with the Tasman Sea.
Maori legend says that Cape Reinga is the departure point for spirits on their way to the Maori homeland in Hawaiki. There are no shops on Cape Reinga, and eating and drinking is frowned upon in order to show respect for this sacred Maori site. For an additional cost, you can aid New Zealand’s conservation program by planting a native tree.
From Cape Reinga, your tour continues down the North Island’s coast. Your first stop is the giant sand dunes at the Te Paki Quicksand Stream, where you can try your hand at sandboarding. Experience an exhilarating ride down the face of a dune on a boogie board!
Finally, get back on the Waverider coach and head south on Ninety Mile Beach. This strikingly beautiful stretch of unpopulated beach, is a marked contrast to the bustle of the island’s East Coast, and you will have plenty of opportunities to stick your toes in the sand and help your guide dig for shellfish.
Your New Zealand North Island adventure ends with your return drive to Paihia.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Cape Reinga 90 Mile Beach
- Coach tour to Cape Reinga and Ninety Mile Beach
- Sandboards provided
- Puketi Kauri Forest boardwalk
- Ancient Kauri Kingdom - award winning wood craft showroom
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Departures and itineraries may be subject to sea and weather conditions.
Reviewed by: Bruce D, February 2016
Great tour would do it again well done
Reviewed by: Joni, January 2016
Such a great trip. Knowledgeable driver/guide. A lot sucked into one day.