Nothing in Britain surpasses the grandeur of Lakeland's central mountains. The route is that fashioned by Emperor Hadrians's Roman legions in the first century AD. You will travel over the steepest passes in England, pausing to view the extensive remains of Hardknott Roman Fort.
Traveling over the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes from Langdale to Eskdale, you will stop at the top of Wrynose for morning tea. After traversing the passes stop at the Roman Fort, 1,000 ft, up on the fells. You have the opportunity to walk through the fort and see the fantastic view to Upper Eskdale, Scafell and Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountains.
Next you will ride on the miniature Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, before a lunch stop at one of the valley inns.
In the afternoon you will continue to Wastwater, Britain’s favorite view, and take in the views up into Wasdale and across the lake to the famous 1,500 foot screes. Your next stop is the splendid 14th century castle of Muncaster, a treasure chest of fine historic belongings and tales. In its internationally acclaimed gardens you will find magnificent examples of azaleas, camelias and rhodondendrons and also have the opportunity to visit the World Owl Trust.
On your journey back to Windermere you will see the beautiful scenery of Coniston Fells and Coniston Water.
- The Langdales
- Hardknott and Wrynose Mountain Passes - the steepest and most exhilarating in England
- Hardknott Roman Fort - with magnificent views to Scafell and central mountain peaks
- Ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Steam Railway
- 14th century Muncaster Castle including World Owl Trus and Gardens
- Coniston Fells and Coniston Water
The High Adventure - High Mountain Passes Spectacular
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Windermere Railway Station or accommodation in Windermere, Bowness-on-Windermere or Ambleside.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Muncaster Castle, The High Adventure - High Mountain Passes Spectacular
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan (maximum 16 people)
- Morning Coffee and biscuits
- Entrance fees to Muncaster Grounds
- Ravenglass/Eskdale Steam Railway ticket
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.