Small-Group Franz Josef Glacier Walk
- Scenic helicopter flight
- Small group ensures personal service
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Afterward your thrilling glacier hike, return back to Franz Josef by helicopter and relax with a soak in the Glacier Hot Pools. These hot pools are nestled in a lush rainforest and are sourced by pure glacier water. Sit back, relax and rejuvenate your muscles in the soothing water -- a perfect way to end the day. The Franz Josef Glacier is a unique experience not to be missed!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 8:15am, returning at 12:15pm
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 9am, returning at 1pm
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 10:40am, returning at 2:40pm
Small-group Franz Josef Glacier walk departing at 11:25am, returning at 3:25pm
Small-Group Franz Josef Glacier Walk
- Round-trip helicopter flights to Franz Joseph Glacier
- 3-hours (approx.) guided glacier walk
- Glacier Hot Pools
- All hiking equipment (Gore-tex jackets, over trousers, woolen hats and gloves, leather boots, crampons)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Glacier walks are moderately difficult, as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels, i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Two to four warm upper- body layers of clothing are recommended, quick-drying trousers or shorts (no jeans), a hat and gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen and a camera
- Franz Josef Glacier receives 16 feet (5 meters) of annual rainfall; refunds will not be given if you decide not to participate because it is raining or because you may get wet feet during the trip
- Please bring a bathing suit for the Glacier Hot Pools
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
Reviewed by: Graham C, August 2014
If you think you may only have one chance in your lifetime to visit the glaciers, do everything possible to stretch your budget so you can take a walk amongst the ice. No words or pictures can truly convey the immense size, power and physical structure of this place - you need to experience it for yourself. On the day after our trip we also took a walk to the terminal face of the glacier. While that is impressive, you cannot get any real understanding of the scale of the glacier or see the dramatic columns and crevices that exist at the higher levels. Our trip was handled professionally, and included just enough excitement and challenges to make it interesting. We were fortunate to be amongst a small group of people with similar capabilities - though i guess there is a risk that you may do less if you are unlucky to be in a group where some people struggle. Whatever - if you get a chance to do it, don't miss it.
Reviewed by: Josh D, August 2014
The Glacier walk was amazing, highly recommend! It would have been topped off with a trip to the hot pools but unfortunately they were closed due to general maintenance. Be sure to stay in Franz Josef a couple of days just incase the day you book gets cancelled, this happened to us but we were able to re-book for the next day