Skip the Line: California Academy of Sciences Behind-the-Scenes Tour
- Skip the line
- Small group ensures personal service
- Ideal choice for families
On this insider-access tour, explore the ‘world’s greenest museum’ from a science and research perspective. With your museum guide, learn about the institution's 159-year history and how its scientists are tackling critical questions about life on Earth. Visit the research collections and a working laboratory, get closer to the living roof, and see breathtaking geology specimens in the vault.
With this option, learn about the history of Steinhart Aquarium and how biologists care for the 38,000 animals – including butterflies, fish, penguins and even an albino alligator – that live in the building. Visit the food-prep kitchen and see the complex water filtration system.
Both options include general admission to the museum, so you can visit all of the exhibits at your leisure before or after your tour. You’ll also receive a reserved seat at Morrison Planetarium and express entrance to Rainforests of the World, a 4-story rainforest exhibit that takes you through many of the planet’s eco-systems.
Please note the following attractions closure dates:
Museum Early Closures
- April 24, 2014 - Closes at 3pm
- September 22-24, 2014
- February 23-25, 2015
- May 6-7, 2014
- September 16-17, 2014
- January 13-15, 2015
- May 5-6, 2015
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9:30am-5pm Monday to Saturday
Academy Tour starts at 11am and 2pm
Aquarium Tour starts at 1pm and 3pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Academy 11am Tour
Behind-the-Scenes Academy Tour at 11am
Academy 2pm Tour
Behind-the-Scenes Academy Tour at 2pm
Aquarium 1pm Tour
Behind-the-Scenes Aquarium Tour at 1pm
Aquarium 3pm Tour
Behind-the-Scenes Aquarium Tour at 3pm
Guide on the Living Roof
- General admission
- 1-hour behind-the-scenes guided tour
- Express entry to the Rainforests of the World exhibit
- Reserved Morrison Planetarium seat
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Guests 8 years and older
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Passes to special exhibits are handed out daily on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability
- Maximum of 14 people per tour
- Morrison Planetarium shows take place throughout the day; you will receive a reserved ticket to the show of your choice
- Wheelchair accessible; wheelchairs are available at Coat Check on a first-come, first-served basis
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Reviewed by: Brian B, June 2014
A hidden gem. A great museum and experience
Reviewed by: xtrawld, January 2014
The tour itself was fabulous, however somehow I was not signed up for the tour and had to rebook in person when I got there. The staff at the Academy were able to overcome this problem.