El Yunque Rainforest Hiking from San Juan
On this tour, you'll see typical Puerto Rican towns until you begin your ascent on a modern road through rapidly changing vistas of amazing vegetation. Tree orchids, giant ferns, wild flowers and tropical hardwoods frame spectacular waterfalls and views of the entire northeast coast.
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Led by a local guide
- All entrance fees included
For an up-close tour of El Yunque that includes a semi-athletic hike, put on your walking shoes to enjoy a 35-minute hike to La Mina. Youll discover an amazing world of nature trails, waterfalls, scenic views and the sub-tropical rainforest habitat of Puerto Ricos endangered wildlife.
El Yunque takes its name from an Indian spirit, Yuquiye, meaning "Forest of Clouds". There are many ways to see the rainforest but hiking is the best way to experience this amazing place!
After hiking through the rainforest to La Mina (35 minutes each way), cool off with a relaxing swim or dip in La Mina Falls (10-minute stop). Make sure you have a good breakfast before taking this tour!
The rainforest is home to more than 240 species of plants and wildlife, waterfalls, streams and hiking trails leading to enticing locations. You'll see tree orchids, giant ferns, wild flowers, tropical hardwoods, spectacular waterfalls and views of the entire north-east coast.
The tour stops at the most beautiful photographic sights, including Jokahu Tower, so don't forget to bring your camera!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
- Old San Juan area: 8:15am
- Condado area: 8:45am
- Isla Verde area: 9:10am
Tour returns at approximately 3:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
El Yunque Rainforest Hiking from San Juan
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
- Local taxes
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Pick up is not provided from San Juan Cruiseship (port/dock). The closest hotel is the Sheraton
- Pickup is not provided from Wyndham El Conqistador Resort, Golden Door Spa Gran Melia, Sheraton Old San Juan Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino or Riomar resorts because the tour operates out of San Juan.
- Tour buses are wheelchair accessible, but do not have a wheelchair lift. Persons in a wheelchair must be able to walk a little (with help from the driver) in order to get on and off the bus. The wheelchair must be foldable.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Reviewed by: Thomas G, September 2014
This was an amazing experience and I give most of the credit to our wonderful guide, Tony Caliz. Tony is a lifelong resident of the rainforest area and he knows the terrain and the people of the area well. He in informative, entertaining, and engaging. I can't believe the value I got for the money I paid, which included transportation to and from the rainforest from SJ, a couple of quick scenic photo ops, and a vigorous hike down and back from an impressive waterfall. Our hike (due to dodgy weather, thus low traffic) included a stop at the forest welcome center and concluded with a stop for local empanadas! I was lucky to get Tony Caliz via viator. You might also try looking him up individually. I know he gives all sorts of wonderful tours beyond what you see offered here!
Reviewed by: Danielle R, August 2014
Hiking in El Yunque Rainforest was fun! The group that I was with was rather small, so it made the experience more intimate and enjoyable. The hike itself was nice. I did, however, expect our driver/tour guide, Rob, to go on the hike with the group, but he stayed back. Despite this, we found our way to the waterfall, which was extremely crowded, but we were all able to get in the water. After hiking back and meeting up with Rob, he showed us some more locations in the forest, and took us to lunch (the lunch was amazing)! I would definitely recommend this tour. Thanks for a great time, Rob!