Swamp and Bayou Sightseeing Tour with Boat Ride from New Orleans
Your local guide will reveal the mysteries of this iconic Louisiana terrain as you observe the nesting grounds of native wildlife. Discover how the seafood from the bountiful waters provides a wide assortment of delectable local dishes! Observe the nesting grounds of alligators, egrets, raccoons, nutria, and many species of snakes. Some wildlife are more numerous during the warmer months of the year.
Along the way, learn all about Cajun culture and ingenuity — hear how Cajun people turned soup into gumbo, a famous Louisiana dish; the washboard into a musical instrument; and, of course, the swamps into a natural paradise. Your guide will also explain how these lush, untamed swamps and bayous are slowly disappearing. Learn about the efforts made to preserve and restore Louisiana's vanishing wetlands for future generations to enjoy. You'll return safely from the bayous with a return coach ride to the French Quarter in New Orleans.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Tour begins at 9am
Tour begins at 11am
Tour begins at 1pm
Tour begins at 3pm
Swamp and Bayou Sightseeing Tour
- Narrated boat cruise
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Local guide
- Local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Snacks and refreshments available for purchase on boat
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 7 days of tour date. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- In order to help preserve the French Quarter from vehicular traffic, it is requested that you please walk, if possible, to the convenient tour departure point - just a short stroll from most downtown hotels
- Tour vehicles are equipped for wheelchair storage. If wheelchairs collapse and fold, they can be placed in the storage compartment on the bus
- Electrical wheelchairs are permitted, but special arrangements need to be made with the supplier for a handicap-accessible bus. This must be arranged 72 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
- Unfortunately, electrical scooters are not permitted
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
Reviewed by: Gerald T, April 2015
Great fun and very educational
Reviewed by: Andrea D, April 2015
This was absolutely the highlight of our trip to New Orleans! The 45 bus ride to the bayou was great because the wonderful bus driver who's name I can't remember but he was an older gentleman who had grown up in NOLA and had a great sense of humor spent the time telling us stories about the history of NOLA, the stories of Hurricane Katrina, and some local jokes. Then the tour itself was utterly fantastic. Our tour guide, Lil Lou, knew the bayou inside and out -- being part of a long line of families who had lived on the bayou and depended on it for their livelihoods. He showed us not just alligators, but birds, turtles, and have us incredible background and information about all of them. We also got to hold a baby alligator -- which was itself an incredible experience. This tour is great for ALL ages. We went with our 12-year old son and this was his favorite part of the trip too -- tied for first with the French Quarter Segway Tour -- also run by Viator. Can't recommend this tour enough!