Best Auckland to Rotorua via Waitomo Glowworm Caves One-Way Tour
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Comprehensive tour by bus/coach
- Recorded commentary by audio headphones
- All entrance fees included
Your tour departs Auckland for Rangiriri, where you’ll stop for morning tea. This historic township was the site of important battles between New Zealand’s native Maori and the invading British. Your guide will captivate you with the stories of these fierce conflicts as you learn of their importance to the birth of modern New Zealand.
You’ll leave Rangiriri and head to the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, with a stop on the way in Ngaruawahia, the home of the Maori king. At Waitomo, a guide will lead you beneath the earth’s surface and into the caves’ long galleries and lofty chambers, including the famous Cathedral Chamber.
You’ll marvel at the limestone shafts and the stalactites that hang from the cave’s ceiling while your guide points out their interesting formations. You’ll then board a boat and ride through the Glowworm Grotto, a giant rock chamber illuminated by the phosphorescent light of thousands of glowworms. This experience is like no other and is a must-see for anyone traveling to the New Zealand.
Back in the coach, you’ll drive by the Karapiro Dam. The ultra-modern dam contrasts with the lush, natural greenery surrounding Lake Karapiro, making for great photo opportunities.
You’ll then drive through another of the North Island’s natural wonders, the Fitzgerald Glade, a section of Highway 5 where the native brush grows up and over the side of the road, and the trees make a canopy with their interlocking branches, forming a tunnel over the road.
As your journey comes to an end, you’ll drive over Mamaku Saddle pass and descend into Rotorua, where you’ll be transferred to your hotel. This tour is one of the most engaging and interesting coach tours on New Zealand’s North Island – don’t miss it.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
SkyCity Travel Center
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Tour with Lunch
Tour including lunch
Tour excluding lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Morning snack
- Picnic lunch served on board the coach (if option selected)
- Entry and guided tour of Waitomo Caves
- Live commentary on board
- Complimentary hotel pick-up and drop off service from inner city hotels.
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
- All tours are operated by luxury 5 star coaches, equipped with air conditioning, rest-room facilities, video monitors and reclining seats. For the comfort of all passengers, all tours have been designated as Non Smoking, with regular stops made for those who wish to smoke.
Reviewed by: Davjo, United Kingdom, February 2015
Reviewed by: Isobel M, United Kingdom, February 2015
Good way to get from Bay of Islands to Auckland