Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este Half-Day Trip from Rome
- Hotel pickup included
- Tour is wheelchair accessible
- Led by a local guide
- All entrance fees included
First stop here is Hadrian’s Villa (Villa Adriana), the former holiday home of Emperor Hadrian – built in the 2nd century AD. More akin to a small village than a home in today’s sense of the word, the ostentatious villa ruins are incredible to visit, with ruins of thermal baths, temples, palaces and theaters just waiting to be explored. Head into the site with your guide, and learn about the emperor’s ancient travels – reportedly the inspiration for many of the monuments -- while walking around.
After your tour of Hadrian’s Villa, return to your coach and travel the short distance to Tivoli’s other showstopping villa – the magnificent Villa d’Este. Built in the heart of the Renaissance – around 1550 – for Cardinal Ippolito II d'Este, Tivoli’s governor, Villa d’Este was a contentious building that upset the local residents as they had to move to make way for it. Walk around the site with your guide, taking in the gardens and posing for photos in front of Bernini-designed fountains while leaning about the Cardinal and his lavish life in the villa.
Return to your coach and relax on the way back to Rome. Your tour then finishes back at the start point – either your hotel or near Rome Termini. Alternatively, you can make use of a drop-off at Via Veneto, Piazza Barberini, Piazza Venezia or Piazza della Repubblica; simply let your guide know on the day.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9am: Oct 1 - Mar 31 (From October 1, 2014, departure time is 8am)
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 - 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Tour departs at 9:00am between October 1 to March 31. From October 1, 2014, tour will depart at 8am
Tour departs at 2:30pm between April 1 to September 30
©user photo 991624
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach (maximum 50 people)
- Entrance fees to Villa Adriana and Villa D'Este
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking.
- Tour is suitable for wheelchair users provided passenger is traveling with a companion who can assist them on and off the bus. Wheelchairs will be stored in the luggage area of the bus.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
Reviewed by: Sarah R, July 2014
A very peaceful trip with beautiful fountains, would definitely do the trip again when returning to Rome.
Reviewed by: Michael M, May 2014
We loved the tour! Chaira was a great tour guide--humorous and informative and easy to understand. We were impressed with Hadrian's architectural abilities and the fountains at D'Este.