Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
Mount Vesuvius is inaccessible between November and April 6. During these months, your volcano hike is replaced with a tour of the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
As Europe’s best-known active volcano, Vesuvius gained notoriety for the destruction of the ancient towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum in AD 79. See the scars of ancient lava flows while traveling to the volcano’s foothills, and then hop off your coach to walk to the top. Hiking up to the crater is the best way to experience Vesuvius’ magic, and after 20 minutes of steady-paced walking along soft volcanic ash and pumice stone you’ll hit the top.
Gaze down into the crater and enjoy some free time up on the ridge to soak up the volcanic views, set against the dazzling backdrop of the Bay of Naples. After taking pictures and drinking in the vistas, walk back down the volcano with your guide, and hop back aboard your coach for the short journey to Naples.
Enjoy one of the city’s world-famous pizzas for lunch, and then head south to the ancient city of Pompeii. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Pompeii’s archeological site is fascinating to explore with well-preserved fossils and ruins that lay beneath volcanic ash for centuries.
See its sights with your guide, noting where the restaurants, shops and brothels of ancient Pompeii once stood. Marvel at the remains of the Forum and see Teatro Grande – an impressive theater that once sat some 5,000 people. See plaster death casts of the victims, and then hear how they were ‘discovered’ in the 18th century.
After exploring the excavation site, return to your coach and travel back to Rome. Your tour finishes at the start point in the early evening.
Please note: Mount Vesuvius is inaccessible during the months of November and April 6. If you choose to travel during these months, your Vesuvius visit will be substituted with a tour of the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii. Housing an impressive collection of artifacts, statues and artwork taken from Pompeii during excavations, the museum is the perfect complement to your visit to Pompeii!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Entrance fee to Mount Vesuvius (April 7 - October)
- Entrance fee to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii (November - April 6)
- Entrance fee to Pompeii
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness. The walk is uphill at a 14 degree angle and takes roughly 20 minutes
- Temperatures on the volcano are usually lower than temperatures on the ground; a sweater or light jacket is recommended
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- On rare occasions the crater of Mount Vesuvius may close due to adverse weather conditions. If this happens, you will be offered an extended tour of Pompeii, a visit to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii, or a visit to Mount Solfatara, a volcano located in the Phlaegrean Fields near Mount Vesuvius
Reviewed by: Kathleen.polly, July 2014
This was a great tour. We met at 7:30 AM in Piazza de Popolo. There were two groups on the same bus. We were given a little bit of info then the guides Violet and Mara let the group sleep. We stopped for a snack/bathroom break. Following that we were given information about lunch and the tour of Pompeii. We arrived and were met by the local guide. This guy was great. What a sense of humor and more good information about the sight. Lunch then followed. Afterwards off to the volcano Vesuvius. The road going to the midway point was incredibly windy, but the bus had no problems. We were given over an hour to clim to the top and then return to the bus. On the way back to Rome we stopped at the same place as in the morning. Great tour!
Reviewed by: Edwin A, July 2014
The Day trip to Vesuvius is a long day from Rome but well worth it. Our Tour Guides Louise and Massimo were fantastic, they gave us time to chill in the morning until we stopped for coffee then on the second part of the bus journey they took us through background to what we were going to see and also the areas we were travelling through. They were both very informative and very funny. Our first stop was Mount Vesuvius, this is a good trek up to the top but worth it. Then we went for dinner which was quickly served and we had good options of pizza and drinks to choose from, and the guides were good to point out that extra drinks here were expensive. then we went a short drive to Pompeii, on this tour we had a local guide as well as Louise, his name was Willie and he was sooo funny, one of the most entertaining tour guides we have ever had, he kept a smile on our face all the way round, however still giving us a very good insight into the story of Pompeii.
I would highly recommend this tour, the guides were fantastic, they made the day very enjoyable.