Arashiyama and Sagano Morning Walking Tour
Stroll through dense bamboo groves to hidden mountain temples and discover centuries of Japanese heritage on this 4-hour Arashiyama and Sagano walking tour. Explore the natural wilderness of the Sagano bamboo grove with your guide. Visit the ancient Tenryu-ji Temple and learn of its 14th-century history. Head along forested paths in search of the Jojakko-ji Temple and admire its impressive pagoda. Wander across the Togetsukyō Bridge to take in beautiful valley views, and escape the busy city to appreciate the tranquil beauty of Japan's rural landscape.
- Instant Confirmation
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Hotel pickup included
Following a morning pickup from your Kyoto hotel, head to Sagano - northwest of the Kyoto Basin - to meet your guide and begin your walking tour. The walk covers approximately 2 miles (3 km) and starts with a stroll through the verdant Sagano Bamboo Grove, surrounded by mountain peaks and swooping valleys in the Arashiyama region.
From there, continue on to the Tenryu-ji Temple - one of the head temples of the Rinzai Zen School - established in 1339 by Takauji, the first shogun of the Ashikaga Shogunate. The temple is famous for its landscaped garden which, unlike the temple buildings, has survived in its original form.
Head on with your guide to the Jojakko-ji Temple, sitting among dense forest foliage and bamboo trees halfway up a mountain. Jojakko-ji was the final home of Empress Dowager Kenrei-mon-in, a principal character in the Tale of the Heike - widely considered to be one of the most important works of classical Japanese literature. The temple is thought to have been originally built as a nunnery and boasts a fascinating history reaching back to the 6th century. Admire the statue of the Jizo and seek out the pagoda hidden among the Japanese maple trees - two of the temples top attractions.
Finally, take a walk over Togetsukyō Bridge (Crossing Moon Bridge) to enjoy beautiful views out over the Hozu River below and the forested hills above. The present bridge was rebuilt in steel in 1934, faithfully copying the structure and design of the original.
After four hours exploring the sites in and around Kyoto, head to Kyoto station with your guide where your tour will come to an end.
Please note: Public transport will be used during your tour, and seating may not be available.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from selected hotels in Kyoto
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Famous Bamboo Forest at Arashiyama
- Hotel pickup (from selected Kyoto hotels only) by air conditioned coach
- English-speaking guide
- Admission Fees
- Food and Beverages
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This is a walking tour, wearing comfortable shoes is recommended
- Public Transportation will be used during this tour and eating may not be available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Order of tour is subject to change
- Please note, hotel pickup is available from selected hotels in Kyoto. If you cannot find your hotel on the list, please choose the nearest offered hotel
Reviewed by: JE R, June 2015
fantastic tour, best thing we did in Japan !
Reviewed by: Linda F, June 2015
First class. Great Trip. Arashiyama was lovely and our guide was excellent.