Best Akaroa Harbour and Banks Peninsula Eco Marine Harbour Cruise Small Group Tour
Discover the historic town of Akaroa and the magnificent natural beauty of the Banks Peninsula on this small group tour from Christchurch. Be amazed by the spectacular views of Akaroa Harbour and the Canterbury Plains on the high scenic drive from Christchurch, visit a cheese factory to taste locally made cheese and explore Akoroa's French influenced streets. You'll have the choice to join a nature and harbor cruise to see the rich variety of marine and bird life or to swim with Hector's Dolphins, the world smallest and rarest dolphins only found in New Zealand waters.
- Close encounter with friendly dolphins
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Small group ensures personal service
Depart Christchurch and travel to Akaroa over the beautiful Banks Peninsula, formed following violent eruptions of two ancient volcanoes. The high summit route gives glorious views of Akaroa Harbour, the Canterbury Plains, the distant Southern Alps and the remote bays and farmlands. The Akaroa crater nurses the picturesque harbor and Akaroa village, the only French settlement established in New Zealand.
Visit the Barry's Bay Cheese Factory for a cheese tasting of locally made cheeses, the only remaining cheese factory on the peninsula from a bygone era. Next you can enjoy the quaint colonial architecture and wander around the charming 150 year old French harborside village of Akaroa with its museum of settlers' history, art and craft shops and studios and al fresco cafes and wine bars.
Join a nature and harbor cruise on the Canterbury Cat. As the well appointed Canterbury Cat gently slices through the aqua blue waters of the harbor you'll experience a rich variety of marine and bird life in their natural habitat, including the unique and playful Hector's dolphins.
Alternatively choose to join "Dolphins Up Close" where you can watch dolphins just feet away, get fantastic photos and go dolphin swimming. From the unique, specially designed boats you will enter the water and the private domain of one of nature's most loveable sea mammals, the Hector's Dolphin. Found only in New Zealand, usually around the South Island. The Hector's Dolphin is the world's smallest oceanic dolphin.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Tour with eco-marine cruise
Travel to Akora on this full-day tour. Includes hotel pickup/dropoff from Christchurch, eco-marine harbor cruise, cheese factory visit, morning and afternoon tea plus cafe lunch.
USD $246.40Pricing details
Tour with Dolphin Swim
Travel to Akora on this full-day tour. Includes hotel pickup/dropoff from Christchurch, Swim with the Hector's Dolphins, cheese factory visit, morning and afternoon tea plus cafe lunch.
USD $297.66Pricing details
Akaroa Harbour and Banks Peninsula Eco Marine Harbour Cruise Small Group Tour
- Cheese factory visit
- Cafe lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local guide
- Light refreshments
- Hotel pickup and drop off from all centrally located Christchurch hotels
- An Eco-marine harbor cruise - if option selected
- An Eco-marine adventure swimming with the Hector's Dolphins - if option selected
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A percentage of the tour price is used for the conservation of New Zealand's wildlife, environment and it's endangered species
- Tour operator picks up from all accommodation: hotel, lodge, Bed & Breakfast in Christchurch. The tour operator will confirm the tour and leave a message at the Christchurch accommodation 24 hours prior to the tour date.
Reviewed by: June A. G, December 2014
Excellent tour with lots of interesting places to visit and see. Tour guide was excellent. Well worth seeing!! I appreciate the small groups with lots of interaction with tour guide and other participants.
Reviewed by: CLAYTON F, USA, January 2011