Select a datex
Explore the neighborhoods of East LA and Boyle Heights, home to the most sought-after tortillerias, birrierias and tamale kitchens in the city. On this Latin food and culture walking tour, you’ll taste extraordinarily prepared foods from family recipes, which when combined with the warmth and hospitality of the restaurateurs, yield an unforgettable food experience. Move from place to place on the Metro Gold Line train, which you’ll discover is an easy, safe and convenient way of traveling in Los Angeles.
- Vegetarian meal option available
- Tour is wheelchair accessible
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Small-group tour
- Likely to Sell Out
- Led by a local guide
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Get inside tips from a local
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
Travel off the beaten path to neighborhoods of Los Angeles that most visitors (and even many locals) never explore – East LA and Boyle Heights. Your Latin food walking tour begins in downtown Los Angeles with a visit to Homegirl Café, part of Homeboy Industries youth program, which provides at-risk youth with safe places to work. This heartwarming experience sets the pace for the rest of your excursion, which takes you to the east side of Los Angeles via the Metro Gold Line light rail.
Tour the first tortilla factory in the city, dine at a renowned and remarkable tamale kitchen, and explore a spectacular three-story Latin American mercado (market) brimming with curio shops, food stands and mariachi showrooms. Then it’s on to Mariachi Plaza, where you will feast upon birria (a spicy Mexican meat stew), healthy pupusas (a Salvadorian specialty) and Mexican pastries.
Your tastings on the tour include traditional foods that are wonderfully prepared from time-honored family recipes. Your friendly and knowledgeable local tour guide will entertain you between stops with stories of East LA’s and Boyle Heights’ colorful and surprising history, and local customs and traditions.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Chinatown Metrorail Station
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Food tasting & beverages
- Small-group walking tour
- Local guide
- Metro pass (for duration of tour)
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required
- Children and infants under 5 years old are welcome on the tour, however should they become restless or uncomfortable please take the appropriate steps to minimize distraction to the other guests. Strollers are recommended
- Children and infants under 5 years are complementary given that they are not participating in tastings.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
You must present a paper voucher for this tour. We will email a link to access and print your voucher at the Lead Travelers email address. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.