Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
Witness the site of the largest battle ever fought on US soil on this day trip from Washington DC to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Relax on a picturesque drive through the Maryland and Pennsylvania countryside. Learn all about the Battle of Gettysburg through a show featuring narration and a detailed miniature military diorama, and visit Cemetery Ridge — where President Lincoln delivered his historic Gettysburg Address. Get insights into the civilian experience of the bloody battle by visiting the restored home of George Washington Shriver.
- Fully narrated tour
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
Board your comfortable, air-conditioned coach at Washington DC's Union Station and travel 2.5 hours through the scenic Maryland and Pennsylvania countryside to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Listen to your guide provide historical background on the momentous Battle of Gettysburg during your drive. Fought in 1863, this three-day battle between Confederate and Union troops caused the highest number of casualties of any American Civil War battle — more than 46,000.
Your first stop in Gettysburg is Farnsworth House, where you'll watch a presentation about what life was like for Civil War soldiers and see where Confederate sharpshooters hid out during the battle. After this visit, enjoy a break for lunch (own expense).
Continue to the Gettysburg Battlefield and enjoy time to explore on your own. At the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center, watch a film about the battle narrated by actor Morgan Freeman and see a variety of informational exhibits about the battle commonly considered a turning point in the American Civil War. Admire the Gettysburg Cyclorama, a stunning miniature military diorama that depicts the fierce battle with the help of narration and sound effects. Throughout your visit, expert guides are on hand to answer your questions about the Battle of Gettysburg and its aftermath.
To get a fuller picture of the battle's impact, you'll also visit the nearby Shriver House Museum. Tour the restored house of George Washington Shriver, located in the midst of the fighting during the Battle of Gettysburg. Learn about the harrowing experience of Shriver's family during the battle, visit the home's attic where two Confederate sharpshooters died, and see authentic Civil War bullets discovered in the house more than 100 years after the war.
Relax on your drive back to Washington DC, where your 10.5-hour tour concludes at Union Station.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from Union Station
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
- Professional driver/guide
- Local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If the wheelchair is collapsible (i.e. can fold up) and the passenger is able to walk onto the bus, the passenger can take this coach tour without making any special arrangements
- If the passenger is confined to the wheelchair, or it is not collapsible, the passenger or their agent will need to contact the tour operator two weeks prior to the departure of their tour to request a coach with a wheelchair lift. The contact details for the tour operator will be on your voucher once you have a confirmed booking
Reviewed by: Lynn C, August 2014
This tour was amazing!
Reviewed by: Ronald W, August 2014
The driver was very good. Well organized trip.