Big Island Day Trip: Volcanoes National Park from Oahu
- Fully narrated tour
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
This trip takes you exploring in Volcanoes National Park, to the Jaggar Museum and Volcano House, Thurston Lava Tube, Kilauea Iki Crater and a visit to a colorful anthurium and orchid nursery to see these exotic blooms. You'll also drive through the town of Hilo along Banyan Drive.
Visits along the way include the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory and a Kona Coffee shop.
Another highlight of this Big Island volcano tour is your visit to the legendary Rainbow Falls, where you might be lucky enough to see the rushing water mix with sunlight to form beautiful rainbows.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from most centrally located Waikiki hotels
Tour returns to original point of departure at approx. 8:40pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Hawaiian Airlines/ No Transfer
Entry to Volcanoes National Park and round-trip flights from Oahu to the Big Island.View lava flow, walk on black sand beaches, visit the Jaggar Museum and Rainbow Falls. No hotel transfer
Hawaiian Airlines w/ Transfer
Entry to Volcanoes National Park and round-trip flights from Oahu to the Big Island.View lava flow, walk on black sand beaches, visit the Jaggar Museum and Rainbow Falls. Includes hotel transfer
Volcanoes National Park Day Trip from Oahu
- Live commentary on board
- Roundtrip flights
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 14 days of tour date. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Passengers must provide date of birth at the time of booking per TSA requirements
- Once reservation is made, tour is Non-Refundable and Non-Changeable.
- Passengers with asthma and other respiratory problems should please consider other tour offerings to avoid potential health problems resulting from exposure to fumes
- As we cannot predict volcanic activity, features may vary daily depending on conditions. In an effort to make this an unforgettable experience, the tour operators will take you as close as possible to the volcanic activity.
- Lava sightings not guaranteed
Please read the following cautionary comments before selecting this tour:
- When lava enters the ocean, the intense heat produces a plume cloud with dangerous and potentially life threatening toxic gases, super heated steam, and hydrochloric acid. Airborne particles are a hazard to your eyes and lungs. Watch for shifting winds that can blow acid mist clouds over you. Leave the area at once.
- Where lava enters the ocean the coastline is extended. This new surface is unstable and may collapse at any time without warning. Do not approach areas where lava is entering the ocean.
- Sharp lava cracks and holes, loose rock, and thin crust greatly increase your risk of getting hurt. Falling on lava can result in nasty wounds. Wear sturdy walking shoes. Use sunscreen, wear a hat, and drink plenty of fluids.
- If inland flows are present, and you use caution, you may have an opportunity to view fresh lava close up. Follow marked routes and your guides instructions. Molten lava is 2000 degrees F, so keep a safe distance and never go into areas where your escape route may be cut off. Do not throw objects into lava as this can cause burns from spattering lava or eye injuries from airborne volcanic glass fragments. BE AWARE, STAY ALERT, AND USE CAUTION AT ALL TIMES, DO NOT TAKE CHANCES.
Please Note: The name you enter at the time of booking must be exactly as appears on your photo I.D. Interisland Air Carriers will deny boarding if the passenger name, as shown on valid government-issued I.D. does not match the name on their voucher. This is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and FAA requirement. Air Carriers proven to be non-compliant are subject to severe penalties; thus there is no flexibility with this policy.A valid government-issued ID (passport for non-US citizens) is required on the day of travel. If a passenger is denied boarding, there will be no refund.
Reviewed by: Johnny S, October 2014
This was the highlight of our 2 week stay in Hawaii. Hugh(our tour guide ) was a wealth of information and very pleasant. I was a little disappointed that I didn't see red hot lava but there were so many stops that I didn't expect it made up for it. The orchids were awesome and the macadamia nuts delicious. The most meaningful part of the tour was devastation trail which really bought home the power of nature.
Reviewed by: Tory P, September 2014
This tour was more than I could've asked for! Though it does make for a long day you get to experience so many great aspects of the big island. We were met at the airport by our guide for the day John. He was extremely knowledgeable as he has lived on the island for 20-30 years and had items for "show and tell" which gave you a great perspective on exactly what he was talking about. Our first stop was at a local store in order to stock up on water (which I promise you will want and need) as well as to get breakfast or snacks for the day. After that we were off to touring. Stops on the tour included a Japanese garden, a black sand beach with an opportunity to see a little bit of green sand, a visit to the Mauna Loa macadamia nut factory, rainbow falls, visit to an orchid nursery, lunch and then the rest of the day was spent in volcanoes national park. You really get to experience so much on this tour and we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect. Ample stops are made within the park getting to experience craters, different types and anomalies in lave flow, and the lava tube. You get back to the airport in plenty of time and we even ended up with extra time at the end of our tour so john stopped where there were some fast food and coffee options to choose from so that we could have dinner and not rely on the very limited options at the airport.
This is definitely a long day but without having to break up your vacation and actually stay on the big island ,this is the best way to get the total experience. We brought a small backpack with TSA size sunscreen, and rain jackets just in case but I would highly recommend some sort of jacket as the weather in different areas of the park can be quite different. We also brought some snacks that we purchased prior to this day trip so that for the day we only had to purchase lunch and water/beverages.
Highly, Highly recommend!