Black Water Rafting Waitomo Caves Tour
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- All entrance fees included
- All necessary equipment included
- Free snacks included
The Black Abyss
Designed for people with a moderate level of fitness, the five-hour invigorating journey includes a minimum of two hours exhilarating underground adventure. Abseil (Rappel) into the awesome limestone tomb to experience the adrenaline rush as you clamber and slide through squeezes, zip into the black water filled abyss and scramble up waterfalls in your pursuit of daylight.
Inside the cave naturally occurring decorations such as stalactites and stalagmites will amaze while the resident glowworms promise to provide a spectacular visual exhibition as you traverse through the subterraneous playground.
Includes: Abseiling training, abseiling 37 metres, caving and walking, cave tubing (black water rafting), glow worms, jumps, flying fox, climbing
This popular tour involves a combination of walking and floating on an inner tube through a unique underground river system. As you prepare for your adventure your professional guide will ensure you are properly equipped and teach you some fun techniques before you climb down into nature's underground network for an enjoyable cave tubing experience of a lifetime! Streams spill, twist, turn and join to build a river canyon. Glide with the water as it drops down the hidden waterfall and tumbles down rocky chutes before sliding through vaulted limestone galleries to finally emerge into the dazzling green Waitomo forest.
Prepare to be amazed at the naturally occurring decorations within the cave including stalactites and stalagmites. This exhilarating journey also provides a spectacular visual display of glowworms.
Includes: caving and walking, cave tubing (black water rafting), glow worms, small waterfall jumpAt the end of your experience enjoy a hot shower, hearty soup and bagel.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
9am The Labyrinth
3-hour cave tubing adventure - The Labyrinth at Waitomo Caves 9:00am departure
12pm The Labyrinth
3-hour cave tubing adventure - The Labyrinth at Waitomo Caves 12:00pm departure
3pm The Labyrinth
3-hour cave tubing adventure - The Labyrinth at Waitomo Caves 3:00pm departure
9am The Black Abyss
5-hour caving, abseiling and flying fox ultimate adventure - The Black Abyss at Waitomo Caves 9:00am departure
11am The Black Abyss
5-hour caving, abseiling and flying fox ultimate adventure - The Black Abyss at Waitomo Caves 11:00am departure
2pm The Black Abyss
5-hour caving, abseiling and flying fox ultimate adventure - The Black Abyss at Waitomo Caves 2:00pm departure
Black Water Rafting Waitomo Caves Tour
- Abseiling techniques training (if option chosen)
- The use of equipment such as tubes, wetsuits, boots, helmets, abseiling devices (if option chosen) and safety equipment
- Complimentary hot shower, hearty soup and legendary Black Water bagel
- Entry to Waitomo Cave Museum
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- All participants on this tour must weigh at least 45 kilograms
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Water temperature is approximately 10 degrees Celsius
- The Waitomo Caves are located 121 miles (195 km) from Auckland. Rountrip transport from Auckland is not included
- The Black Abyss: 16 years of age
- The Labyrinth: 12 years of age
Reviewed by: Rachel L, November 2015
I was glad I did the five-hour option but I was tired and ready for my soup by the end! It was really magical - entertaining and well informed guides helped us feel safe throughout.
Reviewed by: Stephen W, December 2014
great trip - well looked after by guides and good fun - be aware that you will not be able to bring cameras or go pros etc as the guides take photos and sell them but they are not too expensive ($30) and you do get a professional promotional video as part of the package.