Experience the adrenaline-charged thrill of white-water rafting on Queenstown’s Kawarau River! As you paddle through the stunning scenery, you'll feel like you are rafting through the heart of Middle-earth, as it was the Kawarau River that starred as the River Anduin in 'The Lord of the Rings' movie trilogy. This grade II to III rafting trip is suitable for all fitness levels, and no experience is necessary.
From central Queenstown, travel approximately 25 minutes by road to the rafting start point on the Kawarau River. After you are fitted with a wetsuit and lifejacket, receive some training and a full safety briefing from your expert guide. Then it's time to hit the river!
From the moment you push off from the riverbank, begin experiencing the endless excitement of the Kawarau River. Hold on tight and enjoy the rush of adrenaline as your raft twists and turns through the rushing grade II and III rapids.
Your guide will help you paddle along the river and show you the best way to navigate the rapids. Between the thrills, don't forget to look around as you travel through some of New Zealand’s most spectacular alpine scenery. If you're a Lord of the Rings fan, you may recognize some of your surrounds from the movie trilogy.
At the end of your rafting adventure, warm up with a sauna and hot shower at the rafting base, and perhaps reward your new or improved rafting skills with a well-earned hot chocolate, beer or snack (available for purchase from the licensed bar).
Queenstown Kawarau River White-Water Rafting
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Queenstown Rafting Adventure Centre, Shotover Sheet
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 8:15am. Includes hotel pickup if required
Departs at 1:15pm
Departs at 1pm
Kawarau River Rafting
- Hotel pickup (morning tour only)
- Use of hot showers and sauna facilities
- Wetsuit, rafting clothing and all other equipment provided
- Extensive safety instructions and paddling techniques
- Hotel pickup for afternoon departures
- Hotel drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 13 years. Children aged between 13 and 15 years must be accompanied by a guardian
- All travelers between the age of 15 and 18 years require a waiver to be signed by a guardian if they are unaccompanied
- You must bring a swimsuit and towel
- Travelers MUST have a "minimum weight" of 88 pounds (40kg) to participate on this tour
- Water confidence although not essential is recommended
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
My shopping cart
Items in my shopping cart: 0
Find things to do
- Milford Sound Full-Day Tour from Queenstown
- Queenstown Triple Challenge (Jet Boat Ride, Helicopter and White Water Rafting)
- Full-Day Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park Tour including Milford Sound Cruise and BBQ Lunch from Queenstown
- Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise from Queenstown
- Milford Sound Full-Day Tour from Queenstown including Helicopter Flight
Full-Day Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park Tour including Milford Sound Cruise and BBQ Lunch from Queenstown
Milford Sound Full-Day Tour from Queenstown
Walter Peak High Country Farm Tour and Cruise from Queenstown
Queenstown Airport Arrival Transfer - To Hotels
Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise from Queenstown
Why book ahead?
- Save time & moneyYou won't find it cheaper online or anywhere else!
- Don't be disappointedWhen you book ahead, you are guaranteed not to miss out on popular tours & activities.
- Travel with confidenceOur providers are hand-picked, safe and reliable, so you always get what you pay for