Arthur's Pass National Park with TranzAlpine Train Small Group Tour from Christchurch
In the heart of the Southern Alps, Arthur's Pass National Park has an incredible diversity of flora and landscape. Experience a breathtaking journey aboard the TranzAlpine Train winding it's way through the magnificent Waimakariri Gorge. Join short guided walks to rainforests, rivers and mountain vistas and visit the incredible Castle Hill rocks. Traveling in a small group, maximum eight participants, allows for an intimate and informative experience.
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Small group ensures personal service
- Rail Tour
- Lunch included
At Christchurch, board the world famous TranzAlpine Train, sit back and relax on the train journey that will take you across the Canterbury Plains, wind its way through the stunning Waimakariri Gorge and through tussock covered high country before heading into the Southern Alps.
The TranzAlpine is rated one of the world's greatest train journeys and is 223 kilometers long and takes just four and a half hours. There are 16 tunnels, and 5 viaducts, the highest being the Staircase standing at 73 meters.
You will be met at Arthur's Pass by your guide who will take you through the National Park where short walks can be made to experience forests, rivers and mountains vistas. You will follow the old stage coach route and travel down the spectacular Otira Gorge, testament to the road builders of the 1860's and the route taken by Maori in their quest for greenstone.
Departing Arthur's pass, you will travel through the high country and a stop can be made to view Cave Stream where it burrows underground in an area of limestone cliffs and gorges, craggy outcrops and a setting of surrounding mountains.
The incredible Castle Hill rocks, unique weatherworn and rain smoothed outcrops of limestone are seen from the highway and the more adventurous may wish to walk to the top of the rocks for magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
The return journey to Christchurch will include a visit to the Waimak Gorge where the Waimakariri River enters the vast Canterbury Plains.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from centrally located Christchurch hotels
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Returns to original departure point at approximately 5.45pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Lunch at a country hotel
- Guided walks of Arthur's Pass National Park
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from centrally located Christchurch hotels
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Travel by TranzAlpine train
- Light refreshments
- Local guide
- Cruise port pickup is not available
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A percentage of the tour price is used for the conservation of New Zealand's wildlife, environment and it's endangered species
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
Reviewed by: Jennifer F, March 2014
We were very fortunate to have an experienced , knowledgeable and professional guide for the day.
Please pass on our many thanks to Michael
Reviewed by: Peter J, February 2014
Our guide Chris was wonderful, it was just my husband and myself. Train trip was fantastic, Chris met us at Arthurs Pass station and showed us around the National Park, due to the Coast to Coast race being on we had a picnic lunch instead, which was a wonderful idea beside a beautiful lake. I would highly recommend this tour to family and friends, out of ten I would rate this a 10. Thank you Chris for a wonderful day.