Best Volcano National Park Small Group Twilight Tour
- All entrance fees included
- Lunch included
- Dinner included
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
After a brief stop for lunch at Mauna State Park, continue east towards Hilo to explore a lava tube. Here you'll turn on your provided flashlight and look around these spellbinding passages that once carried molten rock from Mauna Loa's upper rift zones to the ocean.
From there, head into Hawaii Volcanoes National Park via the Crater Rim Drive. The park, which is both a World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Preserve, is filled with must-see spots such as the active Kilauea. Throughout the afternoon, your guide leads your group on moderate 1.5-mile (2 km) hikes, with breaks in between, along mostly flat trails; if need be, you can use provided walking sticks in areas with uneven or muddy terrain.
Since Pele (the fire goddess said to live here) is unpredictable, it’s not guaranteed that you get to see lava flowing firsthand on this hike, but your guide will do their best to take you to prime viewing spots if the conditions are safe. When Kilauea isn't erupting, you actually get to walk the summit caldera, peer down steam vents, and marvel at the cinder fields.
Such dramatic displays aren't the only natural wonders of the park. You'll also explore trails carved into a native rain forest before you head to a spot where you'll get to see active lava glowing at twilight. The group will travel to the town of Kalapana to witness the incredible fiery lava ooze into the ocean at sunset, or gawk at molten rock as it smolders in a lake at the Halema‘uma‘u Crater.
Your Big Island volcano tour is topped off with a delicious sit-down dinner in the heart of Pahoa, an old plantation village.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 10am; Oct 11 to Jan 12
Departs at 10:20am; Jan 13 to Feb 15 and Sep 14 to Oct 10
Departs at 10:40am; Feb 16 to Apr 21 and Aug 28 to Sep 13
Volcano National Park Small Group Twilight Tour
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Walking sticks and flashlights
- Rainwear and daypacks
- Bottled Water
- Hot cocoa and cookies
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This tour has a maximum of 12 passengers per van
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not recommended for child aged 7 and under
- Guests should be prepared to walk short distances of 0.5 to 1.5 miles on uneven and rocky terrain
Reviewed by: David C, August 2015
While the weather was not perfect, our tour guide Taj was fantastic and made the trip both fun and educational.
Reviewed by: Victor Y, August 2015
It was a very informative tour! Very cool to see the lava rocks and cave. Wish we could have gotten closer to the active volcano. Lunch and dinner provided!