You'll really get an idea of how big the Big Island is during the course of this Small Group Hawaii volcano tour to Kilauea Volcano. And you'll appreciate that someone else is doing the driving! Hawaii Volcano National Park is an inspiring and precious place, listed as both a World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere preserve.
Starting out from Kona, Kilauea tours travel up the coast over desolate lava flows for about 30 minutes before proceeding up the rolling pasturelands on the flanks of Mauna Kea. Turning onto the Saddle Road that traverses the island between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, you'll see a dramatic and diverse landscape of ranchland, sub-alpine dry forest and rainforest (with striking features such as cinder cones, lava flows, lava tubes and kipuka).
Stop for a short break and continental-style breakfast before continuing to drop down to near sea-level on the way through Hilo where you'll begin the final climb to the summit of Kilauea Volcano and the lush entrance to Hawaii Volcano National Park. On the way back, the Small Group Hawaii volcano tour travels along the Hamakua Coast and passes through Waimea before returning to Kona. By the end of the day, you'll have traveled over 300 miles (480 km) and experienced an elevation change (you go up and down a few times!) of over 30,000 feet (9,150 meters).
Kilauea Volcano Small Group Adventure Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from Queen Kaahumanu Highway or Waikoloa Kings Shops
- 6:50am - Queen Kaahumanu Highway
- 7:30am - Waikoloa Kings Shops
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Bottled water
- Park entry fee
- Mid-morning snack
- Deli lunch with beverages
- Raingear, day packs and walking sticks
- Local taxes
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Infants under 3 must be carried in a backpack carrier (not provided by tour operator)
- Children under 4 must ride in a car seat (not provided by tour operator)
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven muddy or rocky terrain.
- We recommend that guests wear closed-toe walking shoes or hiking boots, shorts or trousers, short sleeved shirt, and bring a light sweatshirt or jacket
- This tour involves short walks varying in length from 1/2 miles to 2 miles. Longer hikes may be required, if an active lava flow is easily accessible
- Deli-style sandwich choices are: turkey, ham, tuna and veggie. Please advise tour operator at time of reconfirmation. The contact details for the tour operator will be on your voucher once you have a confirmed booking.
- Please note the default selection is turkey sandwich, if no choice is specified.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.
My shopping cart
Items in my shopping cart: 0
Find things to do
Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small Group Adventure Tour
Volcano National Park Small Group Twilight Tour
Zodiac Raft and Snorkel Adventure
Kilauea Volcano Bike Tour
Big Island Kohala Canopy Zipline Adventure
Why book ahead?
- Save time & moneyYou won't find it cheaper online or anywhere else!
- Don't be disappointedWhen you book ahead, you are guaranteed not to miss out on popular tours & activities.
- Travel with confidenceOur providers are hand-picked, safe and reliable, so you always get what you pay for