Sydney Walking Tour: Razor Wars of the 1920s and '30s
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
In the early 1920s, Sydney saw an upsurge in organized crime due to the prohibition of cocaine and prostitution, the criminalization of off-course racetrack betting as well as the introduction of six o'clock closing for public bars. Illegal drug distribution became a serious social problem, particularly in Sydney's inner-city suburbs of Kings Cross, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst. This period was especially lucrative for criminal entrepreneurs like Kate Leigh, Tilly Devine and Nellie Cameron.
After handguns were criminalized, razors became the weapon of choice amongst Sydney's gangs. The two major gangs, associated with Kate Leigh and Tilly Devine, began open warfare in 1929, resulting in two of Sydney's most notorious riots:, the 'Battle of Blood Alley' and the 'Battle of Kellet Street.' Both riots took place in the streets in and around Kings Cross.
Get an up-close look and hear the stories of this interesting time in Australian history. Your guide dives into the streets and alleyways that make up Kings Cross (also known as Sydney’s red light district).
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Coca-cola sign, Kings Cross
- Walking tour
- Professional guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian; photo ID may be requested by guide
Reviewed by: Jennifer E, February 2015
Very informative. Not for those that do not like long walks.
Reviewed by: Peta G, April 2014
Valentino was AWESOME. Friendly informative guide. Will be back to do more tours with this tour group.