The Castro: Historical Walking Tour of San Francisco's Gay & Lesbian District
This comprehensive San Francisco tour details the rich and diverse history of the Castro neighborhood and beyond.
- Led by a local guide
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
Harvey Milk, San Francisco's icon and civil rights leader, was a profound contributor to the history of the Castro. On this tour you will have the opportunity to visit Harvey Milk's residence, his photo shop and campaign headquarters.
Other Castro landmarks you will see on this historical walking tour include the Pink Triangle Memorial Park (a triangular free-standing memorial to thousands of gay men persecuted in Nazi camps of World War II), and the legendary Twin Peaks Tavern (First gay bar in America to have glass windows).
All tours are incredibly informative and empowering. Public walkways are wheelchair accessible.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 10am
Mural in the Castro District
- Walking tour
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Please note: GLBT History Museum open Wednesday to Sunday
Reviewed by: Abby H, August 2014
I had visited the Castro previously and just knew I was missing something. This tour highlighted all of the things that I missed that first time. We learned so much about the Castro culture and history.
Reviewed by: Stephanie W, August 2014
This was the highlight of our trip to San Francisco. Kathy was very knowledgeable and entertaining! You will receive a first hand account from someone who has been truly involved in the Castro culture. I would recommend the tour to anyone gay, straight or otherwise as it will really open your eyes to the drive for equality in America and the history of San Fran. Thanks again Kathy!