Original Sound of Music Private Tour
Enjoy a personalized day out including hotel transfers and your very own vehicle for 4 hours! Your driver/guide will meet you up at your Salzburg accommodation and escort you in comfort and luxury to see the sites of the timeless classic 'The Sound of Music' starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. Tour the film locations in style while listening or singing along to the original Sound of Music soundtrack!
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Hotel pickup included
You will see the sights where filming took place, both in the city of Salzburg and surrounding area, and learn about the true story, facts, fiction and trivia. The suggested tour itinerary including the Sound of Music film locations is outlined below.
Please list any special interests you have at time of booking to alert our guide, so that he or she can better prepare for your private tour. You can stop whenever you like to take photos, and decide how long to spend at each location. Simply customize the itinerary to suit your own needs on the day.
We recommend taking plenty of film so you can capture the gorgeous city of Salzburg and those beautiful hills, alive with the sound of music. And don't forget the lovely Austrian Lakes District and Mondsee, where the movie's famous wedding scenes were filmed and also home to the best "crisp apple strudel" topped with vanilla sauce or ice-cream at Mrs Brown's Cafe - an absolute must!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Original Sound of Music Private Tour
- Private tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Accompanied by your own English speaking driver/guide
- Transportation by private air-conditioned Mercedes E 220 - VW Luxury-Minibus (8 seats)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- The Mirabell Gardens - Maria and the children were seen dancing around the statue of Pegasus, the winged horse, and throughout the gardens singing 'Do-Re-Mi'.
- Leopoldskron Castle - The front side of the castle was used as the Trapp family home, the children were boating on the Leopoldskron Lake and fell into the water. The Venetian room was copied from the castle and used as the ballroom.
- Hellbrunn Castle - This hunting castle was built in the early 17th century by Prince-Archbishop Markus Sittikus. In the gardens the glass pavillion was reconstructed for the pleasure of those fans still returning after 30 years.
- Nonnberg Abbey - Nonnberg Abbey is the oldest convent in the German speaking part of Europe. Maria was a novice there. The baron and Maria were married here in 1927. The scenes for the movie made here include the opening with the nuns going to Mass and Maria arriving too late.
- St.Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang - Scenery shown at the beginning of the movie was filmed at Lake Fuschl on the way to St. Gilgen. Like the Mozart family, visitors from all over the world appreciate the beautiful village in the Salzkammergut.
- Mondsee Cathedral - where the movie's famous wedding scenes were filmed.
Reviewed by: Mike, September 2014
This was a fantastic tour of Salzburg and the surrounding area. Our guide (Maria, not sure if that was her real name or just a coincidence) was very personable and very knowledgeable about the area. Even if you are not a fan of the Sound of Music, this tour is a great primer to the history of Salzburg and the Lake District. The best guided tour that I have taken to date.
Reviewed by: Mike A, August 2014
The private tour was the way to go for our family. Our guide, Natasha, was able to adapt the tour to our specific interests (including those of our 9-year old). We like the "Sound of Music" but aren't super-fans; the guide appreciated that fact and could give a more nuanced approach to and delivery of the tour content. We covered a lot of ground in 4 hours and felt it was well worth it!