New Orleans Cemetery and Voodoo Walking Tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
Your professional guide will recount the background of both the famous and infamous people who are buried there. You can make a wish or, if you dare, cast a spell at the tomb of Marie Laveau. Hear spooky stories of how this voodoo master was able to be in two places at once. You'll also learn about New Orleans’ unique above-ground burial custom and hear various society tombs--grand mausoleums built to entomb and commemorate members of professional, benevolent, and ethnic organizations. These macabre monuments include the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society tomb which provided the eerie backdrop for Easy Rider.
Throughout your tour, you’ll get an in-depth view at the evolution of voodoo -- the practice of witchcraft with an African religious heritage. Often dismissed as a cult or superstition, plenty of New Orleans residents believe in its powers. Voodoo rites and traditions are still observed. Small shops sell tools of the trade with herbs, oils, powders, candles and more recognizable items such as voodoo dolls and gris-gris--voodoo amulets.
By the end of your tour, you'll understand the meaning of the gris-gris as well as take home some voodoo charms of your own with the mysterious objects found in your souvenir bag!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
New Orleans Cemetery
- Walking tour
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Local guide
- Authentic souvenir gris-gris bag!
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 7 days of tour date. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability.
- During warmer months, we recommend that you wear lightly colored clothing. Caps/hats and umbrellas are also suggested.
- In order to help preserve the French Quarter from vehicular traffic, it is requested that you please walk, if possible, to the convenient tour departure point, just a short stroll from most downtown hotels.
- Tour vehicles are equipped for wheelchair storage. If wheelchairs collapse and fold, they can be placed in the storage compartment on the bus. If the wheelchair is a scooter, then special arrangements need to be made with the supplier for a handicap-accessible bus. This must be arranged 48 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat.
Reviewed by: Crystal F, July 2015
Our tour guide was very informative, glad that I did this excursion.
Reviewed by: Vinita N, July 2015
Great tour of the cemetery --- lots of information that was also entertaining.