Scottish Highlands Day Trip and Edinburgh Military Tattoo
Travel along the banks of tranquil Loch Earn into the beautiful Highlands region of Perthshire, where you have the option to learn about the production of Scottish whisky on a local whisky distillery tour. Learn about the barley and malt used to produce the peaty notes of a good Scotch, and sample a shot of whisky made on site. Next, explore the peaceful Hermitage pleasure grounds and take a short woodland walk to see some spectacular waterfalls as well as Ossian’s Cave and the River Braan. A break for lunch (own expense) is included either at the whisky distillery or at the Hermitage pleasure grounds.
Return to Edinburgh in the early evening, passing the medieval Dunkeld Cathedral and Forth Bridge, and then enjoy free time to relax and eat dinner (own expense) before making your own way to Edinburgh Castle for the Military Tattoo.
Set on the floodlit esplanade of Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo includes acts by performers from around the world. The action-packed program features hundreds of Commonwealth participants with appearances from the Massed Pipers and Drums, the Bands of Her Majesty's Royal Marines, cultural troupes, singers and the Lone Piper.
The evening event typically lasts around 1.5 hours and finishes at the esplanade. If you book the experience for a Saturday, the tattoo is followed by a spectacular fireworks display over the city. Food and drink stands can be found on site; just note that any items are at your own expense.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Edinburgh Military Tattoo
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus
- Professional guide
- Whisky distillery tour, shot of whisky included
- Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo ticket
- Entrance to a firework display after the tattoo if Saturday date selected
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The Castlehill location at Edinburgh Castle, where the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo takes place, is reached via a short walk along an old cobbled street of some 262 feet (80 meters) and on a steep incline. Some people may find this difficult. There is another 197-foot (60-meter) walk including several steps before the steeply tiered seating area is reached
- Minimum age is 5 years
Reviewed by: mervyn m, December 2013
Hello from Ausrtalia !
i'm sorry I am late returning this review,our experience was fantastic,our driver Andy was great,
we enjoyed every part of the trip,and the Tattoo was brilliant
thank you .
Reviewed by: John G, August 2013
We took the day tour through the Highlands and saw the Military Tatoo and was very pleased with the whole experience. When we come back to Scotland, I hope to spend at least a week explring Scotland.
Our seating for the Tatoo were outstanding ( 50 yard line and half way up in the stands).