Highland Lochs, Glens and Whisky Small-Group Day Trip from Edinburgh
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Small-group tour by minibus
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Small group ensures personal service
After you cross the Highland boundary faultline,the scenery changes from the rolling farmland of the Lowlands to the forested hills and mountains of the Scottish Highlands. This thick forest is the very same mentioned in Shakespeare's Macbeth as "Birnam Wood." One part of the wood is especially beautiful –the Hermitage – and this is where you will take a walk. Here, surrounded by thick forest, the River Braan crashes over spectacular waterfalls . This is a migratory route for salmon, and they can often be seen trying to leap the falls.
Follow the wide valley of the River Tay , the longest river in Scotland with the greatest flow of water of any river in Britain. Stop in Pitlochry for lunch (own expense), and take the opportunity to visit a whisky distillery or the dam where salmon leap in summer.
Continue to Killiecrankie and the Queen's View, where on a clear day the view stretches from Loch Tummel to Schiehallion and beyond to the hills of Glencoe. Next you'll head along the shores of Loch Tay, in the shadow of Ben Lawers. At the head of the loch is Killin, with the wonderful falls of Dochart in the heart of the town.
After a short stop, continue over the Braes of Balquhidder, the final resting place of Highland outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.
The Scottish Highlands are Europe's last great wilderness! Traveling in a small group means you can take lots of stops and reach out-of-the-way places, giving you more time out the van to discover the real Scotland.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Professional driver/guide
- Discount card offering discounts at local restaurants, shopping and attractions
- Modern, air-conditioned Mercedes van(maximum 16 people )
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entrance fees (the included Discount Card offers a reduction in Entrance fee prices)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 6 years
- There are opportunities to take nature walks; it is recommended to bring suitable clothing and footwear. Scotland can be a wet place!
- First Edinburgh tour operator to be awarded 5-star status by the Scottish Tourist Board
The tour operator aims to maintain the legacy of Scotland's beautiful landscape for future generations to enjoy. The tour is as close as you can get to touring in your own car, but with the added benefit of reducing your carbon footprint by 75% (based on 2 persons traveling the same distance in their own car). The operator's commitment to environmental excellence has been recognized with two Gold awards from the Green Tourism scheme and Keep Edinburgh Clean awards.
Reviewed by: Dorothy P, July 2015
David was a pleasant, knowledgeable guide and good driver, and the actual tour was great, which is why I gave it 5 stars. However, the check-in process was a bit of a pain - tickets were bought online well in advance but still had to check in within 24 hrs before the actual trip, and then again on the day of the tour on site. I understand from your perspective why, but it was a bit of a pain for tourists coming in from another country who had to interrupt activities/plans to concern ourselves with that, pay international cell phone rates to make the phone call, and then get transportation to the shared office in the money exchange place on High Street where the remote office is because the call wasn't made during office hours. That said, the tour was worth it.
Reviewed by: Dorothy P, July 2015
We really enjoyed the day. David was a great guide, so pleasant and knowledgeable. The trip was the perfect length. The sights were lovely.