Private Tour: Thai Burma Death Railway Bridge on the River Kwai Tour from Bangkok
- Instant Confirmation
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Moving and memorable sums up your private Bridge on the River Kwai tour from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, 80 miles (130 km) west of the city. The Thai province is an agricultural area, with sugar-cane fields, rice paddies and pineapple plantations all forming significant portions of the rural landscape.
The famous bridge, which marks the beginning of the Death Railway, is a poignant reminder of the thousands of POWs and forced laborers who lost their lives while building the railway during World War Two. The construction of the bridge in 1943 was one part of a huge Japanese wartime project to link existing Thai and Burmese railway lines to create a direct route from Bangkok to Rangoon, Burma (aka Myanmar), in an effort to support the Japanese occupation of Burma. Thousands of POWs and laborers died in the process.
During your tour with a private guide, visit one of the Allied War Grave cemeteries before visiting the JEATH war museum, which houses pictures and paintings from this period. A long-tailed speedboat ride will then take you up the river to the bridge itself, where you have ample time to explore at your leisure. A ride on a local train is also included before returning to Bangkok.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickup and drop-off are NOT available from the following hotels:
- Novotel Suvarnabhumi - Bang Na (near Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Niran Grand - Bang Na
- Nototel Bang Na - Bang Na
- Royal Princess Srinakarin - Bang Na
- Amari Don Muang - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Airport Suite Bangkok - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Asia Airport - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Ebina House - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Rama Gardens - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Quality Suite Airport - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Miracle Grand Convention - Laksi
- Inn Come Sweet - Chatuchak
- Chaleena Princess - Ramkamheng
- Grand Hitech Tower Inn - Ekkamai
- Forum Park - Yannawa (far end of Nang Linchi)
- Rio Residence - Yannawa (far end of Nang Linchi)
- Royal Pacific Plaza - Rama 9
- Oasis - Huang Kwang
- P R Union - Thonburi
- Gold Orchid Bangkok - Suttisan
- And selected areas
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Bridge on the River Kwai, Kanchanaburi
- Transport by private vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (select hotels only)
- Local guide
- Local train ride
- Long-tail speedboat ride
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Boat ride is not wheelchair accessible
- Restroom facilities available
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- You must provide your hotel details at time of booking; failure to do so may result in cancellation
Reviewed by: plucka73, January 2015
This tour with our Fabulous guide, Jaimmy, was a very sad walk through History. The way in which the Japanese treated the P.O.W.s was appalling. We took a speed boat up the river to arrive at the Bridge which was thrilling….. The train ride on the Death Rail was beautiful as you passed some amazing scenery and saddening when you could envisage just what those poor souls had to deal with to build this Railway.
Lunch was included in our tour and was delicious.
Reviewed by: Clare M, December 2014
This was a very good tour and my tour guide was excellent.