Take a day trip to Big Island from Maui and explore the famous lava fields on a comprehensive flying visit from Maui to Kona. You'll explore Volcanoes National Park and the Big Island of Hawaii's lava flows and craters on this volcano tour from Maui, and learn about the natural history of this amazing part of the world along the way.
- Fully narrated tour
- Scenic air tour
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
The recent eruptions of Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano in Volcanoes National Park have captured the world's imagination. This narrated day trip to Big Island from Maui features the closest approach to recent lava flows allowed by Civil Defense and local authorities.
You'll explore Volcanoes National Park, Thurston Lava Tube and Kilauea Iki Crater, and visit the Jagger Museum.
This Big Island volcano tour from Maui also takes you through Hilo Town and Banyan Drive, the waterfalls at Rainbow Falls (if time permits), a macadamia nut factory (seasonal), and an orchid and anthurium nursery.
Big Island Day Trip: Volcano Adventure from Maui
We're sorry, this tour or activity is not available at this time. Please check back later.
Departure Point:Kahului Airport, Maui
Select Maui hotels (if tour with transportation option selected)
- Meet at the airport at approximately 5:30- 6:00am
Hotel pickup (if option selected) is scheduled for approximately 5:00am to 5:30am
Customers must call 72 hours in advance to reconfirm exact departure time.
Returns in the evening, exact time to be provided during tour re-confirmation
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Volcano Adventure from Maui
- Round trip coach class air travel to the neighbor island
- Tour narration by a professional driver/guide
- Airline Fare and Fuel Surcharge
- Local taxes
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Hotel pickup and drop off available if option selected
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 14 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A light sweater may be needed at the volcano area
- Sturdy walking shoes required
- Passengers with asthma and other respiratory problems should please consider other tour offerings to avoid potential health problems resulting from exposure to fumes
- Very young children discouraged
- As we cannot predict volcanic activity, features may vary daily depending on conditions. In an effort to make this an unforgettable experience, the tour operators will take you as close as possible to the volcanic activity
- Lava sightings not guaranteed
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
- Once reservation is made, tour is non-refundable and non-changeable
- You will be flying on Hawaiian Airlines
Please read the following cautionary comments before selecting this tour: When lava enters the ocean, the intense heat produces a plume cloud with dangerous and potentially life threatening toxic gases, super heated steam, and hydrochloric acid. Airborne particles are a hazard to your eyes and lungs. Watch for shifting winds that can blow acid mist clouds over you. Leave the area at once.
Where lava enters the ocean the coastline is extended. This new surface is unstable and may collapse at any time without warning. Do not approach areas where lava is entering the ocean.
- NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE - This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency. Such items may be transported in checked baggage.
- Passengers may have - Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling. Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger's ticket. Insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines.
- Beverages purchased in the sterile area must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.
Sharp lava cracks and holes, loose rock, and thin crust greatly increase your risk of getting hurt. Falling on lava can result in nasty wounds. Wear sturdy walking shoes. Use sunscreen, wear a hat, and drink plenty of fluids.
If inland flows are present, and you use caution, you may have an opportunity to view fresh lava close up. Follow marked routes and your guides instructions. Molten lava is 2000 degrees F, so keep a safe distance and never go into areas where your escape route may be cut off. Do not throw objects into lava as this can cause burns from spattering lava or eye injuries from airborne volcanic glass fragments. BE AWARE, STAY ALERT, AND USE CAUTION AT ALL TIMES, DO NOT TAKE CHANCES.
Please Note: The name you enter at the time of booking must be exactly as appears on your photo I.D. Interisland Air Carriers will deny boarding if the passenger name, as shown on valid government-issued I.D. does not match the name on their voucher. This is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and FAA requirement. Air Carriers proven to be non-compliant are subject to severe penalties; thus there is no flexibility with this policy. A valid government-issued ID (passport for non-US citizens) is required on the day of travel. If a passenger is denied boarding, there will be no refund.
Terms and Conditions:
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.