Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Once fitted out with all your equipment, take a short bus ride to the outskirts of the glacier. Your guide will take you on a Glacier Valley Walk that will take you up alongside the mighty Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat in this remarkable landscape.
You will learn about the glacier's history, see what is left behind by this majestic giant, and learn the legend of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere. Near the terminal face, you will cross over the public barriers and after a brief climb you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the rapidly changing terminal face of the glacier.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 10am and returns at 1pm
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 2:15pm and returns at 5:15pm
Franz Josef Glacier
- Small-group tour
- 3-hour guided glacier tour
- Professional guide
- All equipment
- Mountains to the Sea DVD
- Souvenir Information Booklet
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 6 years
- The glacier walks are quite challenging as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in all weather conditions
Reviewed by: Shona P, February 2016
A memorable activity. Loved scrambling along the valley, we waded through a rushing stream, stood so close to the spray of the wonderful waterfalls. Held chunks of ice from the pounding river. Fabulous guide. Joshua. Gave us such a lot if interesting details. He worked so hard to give the group a brilliant time and it certainly was amazing.
Reviewed by: suellis31, February 2016
Booking a tour allowed us to hike paths in the woods leading to the glacier that the general public walking on their own could not access. The guide's knowledge of various plants and the history of the glacier definitely made it a good deal as opposed to just walking up to the glacier viewpoint on your own. The ticket also included use of the glacier hot water pools which felt great after all the traveling we had been doing.