Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Once fitted out with all your equipment, take a short bus ride to the outskirts of the glacier. Your guide will take you on a Glacier Valley Walk that will take you up alongside the mighty Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat in this remarkable landscape.
You will learn about the glacier's history, see what is left behind by this majestic giant, and learn the legend of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere. Near the terminal face, you will cross over the public barriers and after a brief climb you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the rapidly changing terminal face of the glacier.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 10am and returns at 1pm
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 2:15pm and returns at 5:15pm
Franz Josef Glacier
- Small-group tour
- 3-hour guided glacier tour
- Professional guide
- All equipment
- Mountains to the Sea DVD
- Souvenir Information Booklet
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 6 years
- The glacier walks are quite challenging as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in all weather conditions
Reviewed by: L D J, May 2013
We had a fun time at Franz Josef ,The valley walk was educational and interesting the whole thing took more or less 3-4 hours. Our guide was friendly and we were able to get closer to the glacier. We were able to hold the glacier and take pictures on it.
Reviewed by: Edward C, April 2013
We enjoyed the experience a great deal. Our guide made our trip to the glazier one to remember.