Experience one of the greatest operas ever written, Georges Bizet’s 'Carmen', in one of the most beautiful settings in the world – Sydney Harbour. For three weeks only in 2013, a thrilling production of 'Carmen' will be presented on a purpose-built floating stage on the shimmering waters of Sydney Harbour.
Bizet's seductive melodies and fiery Spanish rhythms conjure a world of desire, defiance and doom through some of the world's best-loved music. The opera is performed in French; subtitles in English will be projected onto a screen below the stage.
Important! Please note, the 2013 Opera on Sydney Harbour season is complete. Please check back soon for next year’s rates and availability.
Never before performed in such a fabulous setting, this spectacular production of one of the most famous operas in the world – Carmen – features richly costumed soldiers, smugglers, matadors and flamenco dancers swirling across the luminous set, lit by fireworks and accompanied by a full chorus and orchestra. Presented on a purpose-built floating stage on Sydney Harbour, with the Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge as a backdrop, this is a musical performance you won't forget.
Carmen tells the story of the naive soldier Don Josè who abandons his childhood sweetheart and deserts the army when he falls under the spell of the alluring gypsy, Carmen. When Don Josè loses her love to the dashing toreador Escamillo, the scene is set for jealousy and vengeance.
Come early and soak up the atmosphere as the whole precinct is transformed into a Spanish fiesta, with tapas bars and restaurants offering a wide range of pre-performance drinking and dining options (at own expense).
Available for three weeks only from March 22 to April 12, 2013, Carmen is perfect for first-time opera-goers and seasoned opera lovers alike.
We're sorry, this tour or activity is not available at this time. Please check back later.
Departure Point:Botanical Gardens - Mrs Macquarie's Chair
Gates open at 5pm
Opera commences at 7:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Carmen on Sydney Harbour
- Ticket to the Opera on Sydney Harbour in your choice of seating
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Performance program (available for purchase for $20 at the venue)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants and children at all adult pricing
- Wheelchair seating is available and must be requested at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is an outdoor event there is no undercover seating
- Latecomers will not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance
- No mobile phones or recording devices to be used during performance
- Only food and beverages purchased at the venue permitted
Terms and Conditions:
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.