Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
Mount Vesuvius is inaccessible from November 1, till March 8. During these months, your volcano hike is replaced with a tour of the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
As Europe’s best-known active volcano, Vesuvius gained notoriety for the destruction of the ancient towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum in AD 79. See the scars of ancient lava flows while traveling to the volcano’s foothills, and then hop off your coach to walk to the top. Hiking up to the crater is the best way to experience Vesuvius’ magic, and after 20 minutes of steady-paced walking along soft volcanic ash and pumice stone you’ll hit the top.
Gaze down into the crater and enjoy some free time up on the ridge to soak up the volcanic views, set against the dazzling backdrop of the Bay of Naples. After taking pictures and drinking in the vistas, walk back down the volcano with your guide, and hop back aboard your coach for the short journey to Naples.
Enjoy one of the city’s world-famous pizzas for lunch, and then head south to the ancient city of Pompeii. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Pompeii’s archeological site is fascinating to explore with well-preserved fossils and ruins that lay beneath volcanic ash for centuries.
See its sights with your guide, noting where the restaurants, shops and brothels of ancient Pompeii once stood. Marvel at the remains of the Forum and see Teatro Grande – an impressive theater that once sat some 5,000 people. See plaster death casts of the victims, and then hear how they were ‘discovered’ in the 18th century.
After exploring the excavation site, return to your coach and travel back to Rome. Your tour finishes at the start point in the early evening.
Please note: Mount Vesuvius is inaccessible from November 1 till March 8. If you choose to travel during these months, your Vesuvius visit will be substituted with a tour of the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii. Housing an impressive collection of artifacts, statues and artwork taken from Pompeii during excavations, the museum is the perfect complement to your visit to Pompeii!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Pompeii Day Trip from Rome
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Entrance fee to Mount Vesuvius (March 9 - October 31)
- Entrance fee to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii (November 1 - March 8)
- Entrance fee to Pompeii
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness. The walk is uphill at a 14 degree angle and takes roughly 20 minutes
- Temperatures on the volcano are usually lower than temperatures on the ground; a sweater or light jacket is recommended
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- On rare occasions the crater of Mount Vesuvius may close due to adverse weather conditions. If this happens, you will be offered an extended tour of Pompeii, a visit to the National Archeological Museum of Pompeii, or a visit to Mount Solfatara, a volcano located in the Phlaegrean Fields near Mount Vesuvius
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate pushchairs or strollers on our group tours
- Appropriate dress is required for entry into some sites on this tour. Knees, shoulders and backs must be covered
Reviewed by: Elizabeth G, July 2015
Lots of fun, our guide Lucca was very professional and charming. It was a great option for a one day trip out of Rome.
Reviewed by: Gail P, July 2015
This tour was fantastic, one of the absolute highlights of my trip!! We departed on time from our meeting point in Rome in a comfortable bus. Our guide, Andy, was FABULOUS and kept us entertained with stories during the 3-hour drive down to Vesuvius and back. On the way down, we stopped at a very nice cafe with clean bathrooms for a bathroom break and optional coffee and croissants RECOMMENDED. Andy pointed out various sights along the way and told us stories of the volcanic eruption, the Appian Way, Spartacus' Revolt, and other stories relating to landmarks that we passed. We then had a very winding drive up most of Mount Vesuvius, followed by a 40 minute hike up Vesuvius to see the crater. Next, a delicious pizza lunch in Naples, after which we drove to Pompeii where an Italian guide took over and gave us a 2-hour walking tour of the remains with intriguing commentary, creating vivid scenes in our minds about how life used to be in 79 A.D. Make sure you see the erotic frescoes. Finally, we hopped back on our bus for the 3-hour drive home, with another rest stop at the same plush cafe. We heard plenty more historical stories on the way back, so all the driving didn't seem burdensome in any way. This tour was the final icing on the cake of my 10 days in Italy, a real treat not to be missed!!