Ancient Appian Way, Catacombs and Roman Countryside Bike Tour
The challenging route covers a distance of roughly 19 miles (30 kilometers) including some seven or eight hills and lots of off-road terrain; for this reason, the tour is aimed at experienced cyclists with a better-than-average level of fitness.
Choose from a 4.5-hour, 5-hour or 6-hour tour, and after putting on your helmet, set off behind your guide at a steady pace. All of the options follow an intense cycling route, covering lots of off-road and hilly terrain. Take the 4.5-hour tour to see the sights of the Appian Way from your bike -- with few stops -- or alternatively, take the 5-hour tour (October only) or the 6-hour tour. The longer options include lengthier stops; both include a visit to a Roman sheep farm to relax over wine and cheese, and the 6-hour tour includes a guided tour of the Catacombs, too.
All options include additional sights like:
- Trajan's Thermal baths
- Caracalla's Thermal baths
- S. Sebastian Door
- Aurelian Walls
- Ancient Appian Way
- S. Callisto Catacombs
- Circus of Maxentius
- Tomb of Caecilia Metella
- Tombs and Tumulus Ruins
- Ninfeum of Villa Quintili
- Aqueduct Park (Claudius and Felix)
- Caffarella Park
- Ninfeum of Egeria
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
10:30am 6-Hour Tour
6-hour bike tour departing at 10:30am
1pm 6-Hour Tour
6-hour bike tour departing 1pm. From October 1, 2015, tour depart at 12:45pm
2pm 6-Hour Tour
6-hour bike tour departing at 2pm
2pm 5-Hour Tour
5-hour bike tour departing at 2pm on April 5, 2015 only. Please note that this departure does not go to the Catacombs.
USD $72.21Pricing details
Ancient Appian Way
- Guided visit of the Catacombs of S. Callisto
- Aperitif in Caffarella Park
- 27-gear trekking bike
- Rain coat (if necessary)
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- We require all customers to wear a helmet (provided for free)
- Infants aged 1 - 4 years of age travel free of charge. Baby seats are provided up to 45 lbs (20 kg)
- During February the Catacombs are closed: tour will last only five hours in this case
- You will cover an area of approximately 19 miles (30 Km); the ride is leisurely but eventually will go uphill and off-road, so a medium to high level of fitness is recommended
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Absolutely! The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all, meaning you are able to enjoy your ride around the city in total relaxation and safety and you won't have to worry about traffic
Reviewed by: Donna P, May 2015
I encountered a bike accident early on the tour. It was no fault of anyone. It just happened. The guide, Matteo was wonderful. He was careful and protective of us as we rode at a slow pace through Rome to get to the Park. It was a freak thing that I got thrown of the bike. I needed to go to the hospital. Matteo made me feel safe. The group waited till the ambulance came. Matteo secured my camera. I needed attention to a cut on my left brow and a bruise on the palm of my hand. Everyone was very nice and patient. I was traveling alone. When I was released a little later I was feeling shakey but returned to the bike tour office and the staff was so nice. They gave me juice and water and chatted with me till I left and they called me a taxi. Fleurin, at the office came to my hotel in the evening after hours to return my camera! I was departing Rome the next morning and unable to go back for my camera. They were all so wonderful! I feel badly that I missed the bike tour. The bike tour company and Viator agreed to return my money since I did not get to enjoy the tour. I would love to return to Rome and complete the tour sometime in the future. Thank you!
Reviewed by: Christian B, May 2015
this was awesome but not for the novice bike rider the computer bike was outstanding!!! we saw beautiful sites and while I was afraid of the traffic, allessandra was amazing at keeping it all very safe. I loved it. she was so attentive-I fell of my own accord off the bike and she was promptly there with a first aid kit/washing the area and putting bandaid on.. so kind. the catacombs were gorgeous and the appertif of cheese bread and drink was much needed and loved by all. I would do this again in a minute-I must say top notch equipment from the bike to helmet to the computer-wow. definitely recommend this for a nice change of pace