Select a datex
Enjoy an exciting outdoor adventure on this day trip from Portland to Mount St Helens, one of the Pacific Northwest’s best-known natural wonders. Your expert guide will take you in a cave and lead you on several educational nature walks to discover the unique landscape and abundant wildlife surrounding this active volcano.
When you arrive at Mount St Helens National Volcanic Monument after pickup from your Portland hotel, you’ll get the unique opportunity to go spelunking at Ape Cave, the largest continuous lava tube in the continental US.
Then, explore the visitor centers in and around the 'Blast Zone,' where the volcano erupted. Stopping to take scenic photos along the way, your naturalist guide will describe the impressive ongoing reforestation project and explain how well the surrounding ecosystem is recovering from the volcano’s massive 1980 eruption.
At midday, enjoy a local, organic lunch (see Itinerary section below for a sample menu). Then, head to the Johnston Ridge Observatory, just 5 miles (8 km) from the crater, to enjoy stunning views of the steaming volcano, the growing lava dome and the glacier.
Enjoy a nature walk here with your guide, who'll share the drama of the geological events surrounding the eruption. As you keep your eye out for wildlife, including deer, elk, beavers and birds, learn how volcanoes are monitored and how Mount St Helens has taught scientists new answers to old mysteries!
After your adventure, you'll be driven back to your Portland hotel in the evening.
Hiking St. Helens
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Downtown Portland hotels
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Mt St Helens
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
- All equipment
- Transport by Mercedes van or luxury SUV
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (downtown Portland hotels only)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation is received at time of booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Difficulty level is easy to moderate; some level of physical ability is required
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Sturdy shoes are recommended, as a moderate amount of walking is involved
- Operates in all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- When the Johnston Ridge Observatory is closed during the winter months, you'll drive to a different viewing location and take a snowshoe hike
Locally sourced roasted chicken breast
Quinoa or lentil salad
Organic green salad with local ingredients
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.