Alaskan Gold Discovery: Gold Mining and Panning at Gold Creek from Juneau
- All necessary equipment included
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
Learn how to pan for gold and hear why thousands of people hurried to the region to strike it rich during the Gold Rush of the late 1800s. Get the hang of it with help from your guide, and then try it yourself! You can either pan for gold in the creek or go in the waist-high water in the demonstration trough. During your search, you'll be surrounded by the building remnants of the Alaska-Juneau Mining Company, which closed in 1944 due to the WWII labor shortage.
End your day of gold mining with an appreciation of one of Alaska’s most important events, as well as all the gold you find and an Orelove Brothers Gold Claim Certificate!
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- All necessary equipment
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- After booking, please contact the local tour operator to confirm your departure time and departure location
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
Reviewed by: Arlyne T, September 2015
So much fun in the pouring rain. It was fabulous panning for gold and catching the fever. We laughed and thought tour guide was fun. We'd do it again.
Reviewed by: marving g r, August 2015
I lived in Juneau for 14 years in the 50s. I never really knew how to pan for gold until your tour. It piqued my interest so I went to the City of Juneau Museum and pursued the subject, learning that creeks were quickly, ten or so years, cleared of gold, which led to the greater mining industry. My dad and some of his friends used to golf on the tailings of the A-J Mine. They called it their million dollar golf course.