Juneau Shore Excursion: Mendenhall Glacier Trek and Climb
Once reaching the glacier, you will be outfitted in trekking gear. With the use of crampons, enjoy trekking on moderate glacial terrain overlooking Mendenhall Lake. This trip features close-up views of ice caves, streams, crevasses and other unique glacial formations!Professional expert guides will provide training to ensure a safe and fun adventure on Mendenhall Glacier.
The Mendenhall Glacier Trek and Climb caters to all ages and abilities, however, clients must be in good enough shape to hike for up to
6-6.5-hours, covering about 8 miles (12.8km) roundtrip. The hike to the glacier is challenging and hiking with a backpack is required. The backpack is provided, weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear, snacks/water, and any extra clothing that you would like to bring.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return back to the ship in Juneau for this activity. If your ship is delayed and you are unable attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 7:00am
Departs at 7:30am
Departs at 8:30am
Departs at 10:30am
Departs at 11:30am
Departs at 1:30pm
Mendenhall Glacier Trek
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop off
- Hearty snack/bottled water
- Mountaineering gear, backpack, rain jacket and pants -- please advise supplier of sizing
- Roundtrip transportation from designated meeting point
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This small group adventure has a minimum of 2 and maximum of 12 participants
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant on the trip must sign
a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or
deletions to the waiver is not permitted
must be in good enough shape and conditioned to hike for up to 6-6.5
hours, covering about 8 miles roundtrip. The hike is challenging and
clients need to bring sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle
support while hiking on rocky terrain. All clients will need to hike
with a backpack the entire way on this trip. The backpack (provided)
weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear,
- Visiting specific features such as ice caves, moulins, etc. cannot be guaranteed due to the constantly changing nature of the Mendenhall glacier. Your guide will assess the hazards the day of the trip and determine if a particular area is safe enough to trek upon or enter
What to Bring:
- Hiking boots with with good stability and traction
- Comfortable hiking pants
- Warm sweater or fleece pullover
- Warm hat
- Fleece gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
Reviewed by: Marigil L, July 2014
Amazing Experience and Guides!
Brad went above and beyond to ensure everyone enjoyed the hike to the glacier and that we were safe while on it. My sister said she could never have made the full hike without him as a guide.
imply awesome experience with my 12-year old daughter and guide Sam. Brisk and tough 1.5 hour hike followed by gearing up for the Glacier and capped off with some ice cave spelunking. Tougher vertical climb up from the Glacier getting back. All in a tough 7-hour day, but well worth the effort. The quicker you tough it out to the Glacier, the better the experience. Thanks Sam - an experience we'll never forget. Recommend for those up to testing their limits.
Visited July 2014
Reviewed by: jennifer k, July 2014
Our guide Brad was great. Best trip we had while we were in Alaska. Loved it. If you like to hike this is a must.