Alcatraz Tour plus Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and Sausalito Day Trip
Contrast the brutal austerity of Alcatraz with the sheer beauty of Muir Woods and Sausalito on this enthralling day trip from San Francisco. It's a whole day of contrasts: from catching the ferry to Alcatraz Island and driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, to walking through a forest of giant redwoods and relaxing in the picturesque village of Sausalito.
- Likely to Sell Out
- Recorded commentary by audio headphones
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- All entrance fees included
Likely to Sell-out! Alcatraz regularly sells out weeks in advance. Book ahead of time to avoid disappointment.
This enthralling day trip takes you across the Golden Gate Bridge for a view of San Francisco from Vista Point, then through the coastal mountains to the Bay Area's popular Muir Woods. This national monument is the site of a virgin forest of California Coast redwood trees, among the oldest and tallest on earth. Take the opportunity to roam through an ancient forest of giant redwood trees on your 75-minute visit of Muir Woods.
Next, it's time to take a stroll along the waterfront of quaint Mediterranean-style Sausalito, considered the prettiest village in California. You'll have 30 to 45 minutes to browse, shop and take photos at your leisure in this picturesque artists' colony nestled on the northern shores of San Francisco Bay.
Your tour also includes the ferry ride to Alcatraz Island and an audio walking tour of the "Cell Block". This former federal penitentiary was known as "The Rock" and housed gangsters such as Al Capone (Scarface) and Machine Gun Kelly. You'll learn about the famous escape from Alcatraz, the prison's notorious inmates and much more on this tour.
Alcatraz sold out?
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and Sausalito & Escape from the Rock Cruise
When Alcatraz is sold out, book the next best option and upgrade your Muir Woods tour to include the Escape from the Rock Cruise. This 90-minute bay cruise sails under the Golden Gate Bridge and then circles Alcatraz twice allowing you to get up close and see every angle of this mysterious island.
You’ll hear chilling accounts of harrowing escape attempts by Alcatraz’s notorious criminals as well as their descriptions of the brutality of life on the island. This special San Francisco bay cruise featuring sound effects and intriguing stories about Capone, Billy Cook the Killer, Clyde Johnson’s Alcatraz escape attempt and many more, will take you back to the days when this maximum-security prison was the most feared institution in the American penal system.
Please note: the Muir Woods Tour & Escape from the Rock Cruise does NOT include a ticket to Alcatraz
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Please note, if you are staying at Fisherman's Wharf hotels please make your own way to the departure point of 2627 Taylor Street. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to tour departure time
Airport hotels: Pickup is available, however guests will be drop off at hotel at approximately 5:15pm
Cruise ship passengers: Please make your way to 2627 Taylor Street, 10-minute walk from the cruise ship terminal
11:30am with Escape from the Rock option
Please note: Additional departure times may be scheduled during busy periods. You must call 24 hours prior to tour date to reconfirm your departure time.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Muir Woods & Alcatraz
4-hr Muir Woods and Sausalito tour plus ferry and admission to Alcatraz island, including award-winning Alcatraz audio tour. Departs at 9am. Limited availability and advance booking is recommended
Muir Woods & Escape from Rock
1.5-hr 'Escape from the Rock' cruise departing 11:30am. Cruise circles Alcatraz and provides commentary on the island's history: TOUR DOES NOT INCLUDE ALCATRAZ ADMISSION. 2pm departure to Muir Woods.
- Tour across the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods and Sausalito
- Admission to Muir Woods
- Round-trip ferry from San Francisco to Alcatraz Island with admission (US$30 per adult, US$18.25 per child value, if Alcatraz option is selected at time of booking)
- Audio walking tour of Alcatraz 'Cell Block' (if Alcatraz option is selected at time of booking)
- 1.5-hour bay cruise around Alcatraz (if Escape from Rock option is selected at time of booking)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 30 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible. However, passengers in a wheelchair can be accommodated only if they can get on and off the bus on their own and if the wheelchair is collapsible. The driver is not permitted to assist handicapped persons due to insurance restrictions. Please note, there is a Tram providing transportation for handicapped persons on Alcatraz Island
- Buses are air-conditioned and the size of the bus depends on the number of passengers booked for that particular day. There are 48, 28, 39, 47 and 50 seat vehicles
- Muir Woods & Escape from Rock Tour: Cruise circles Alcatraz and provides commentary on the island's history. ADMISSION TO ALCATRAZ IS NOT INCLUDED
- The tour schedule for the day depends on the availability for Alcatraz. For example, if Alcatraz is available in the morning, the tour commences at the pier to begin with the Alcatraz portion. If there is no availability for Alcatraz in the morning, upon arrival at Fisherman's Wharf you will commence with Muir Woods and Sausalito and then continue to the pier for Alcatraz in the afternoon, returning at leisure
- The Alcatraz portion usually takes approximately 2 hours to complete, with the audio tour consisting of approximately 45 minutes. You are advised to inquire on your arrival to the island as to what time the next guided tour will begin. There is no restriction on the amount of time you spend on the Island. The ferry boat service departs Alcatraz every 30 minutes and you can disembark at your own leisure
- The Escape from the Rock Cruise departs Fisherman's Wharf at 11:30am, leaving 1 hour after conclusion of the cruise to relax at Fisherman's Wharf before the Muir Woods tour departs at 2:00pm
- The Muir Woods and Sausalito section consists of at least 4 hours in total
- There is a 1 hour and 15 minute stop at Muir Woods. Passengers may choose whether they wish to walk the trail or not. This short, self-guided walk takes approximately 30 minutes
- The stop in Sausalito is 30-45 minutes at leisure
Reviewed by: Susan M, December 2014
Having never been to Alcatraz, I didn't know what to expect, but the tour was fantastic. The headsets with the pre-recorded self-tour was one of the best self-guided tours I've experienced. My teenage son loved it too. There was also an exhibit of political protest art - really apropos and interesting. It was a rainy and grim day - a perfect setting in which to see the prison. I felt as though we could have spent more time there, but the time we spent was adequate in seeing all the highlights. The ferry trip over and back had stunning landscapes of both San Francisco and Alcatraz. Great for photographers. The tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito was also wonderful. The driver of the bus who was also the tour guide, Kenneth, was very informative and told interesting stories, both historical and about contemporary life. He made it fun and interesting and I HIGHLY recommend him. The redwoods dwarfed us, and it was really meaningful to be able to walk among the giant trees and experience their beauty. Made me want to go to the Sequoia National Park on my next trip! It was still pouring by the time we got to Sausalito - a quaint little town on the coast; wished we could have had a drink or coffee outside, but instead we looked at the cute shops. GREAT DAY!!!!
Reviewed by: Lorna L, United States of America, December 2014
Best part of my entire trip. I've always been interested in Alcatraz. I recommend taking the self-guided audio tour. I wish we weren't on such a tight schedule. We were on the 10:30 Alcatraz trip and had to be back by 1:30. That seems like a lot of time, but you have to account for the ferry running a little late, fighting the crowds and the time it takes to get to and from the island. Muir Woods was fun. The park was smaller than I thought it would be. You get just enough time at Sausalito to sit down and eat. If you want to shop, better grab a bit on the go. Think you only get about 45 minutes. Wish there was more time for everything, but definitely a great trip!