Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private Viewing and Small-Group Tour of the Vatican's Secret Rooms
Due to a new Vatican partnership, this tour provides VIP access through a reserved door, allowing you to skip all the lines – even the priority lines. End your tour with an after-hours private viewing of the Sistine Chapel, empty except for your group (average 15 people) and guide. Michelangelo's fresco in the Sistine Chapel – including The Creation of Adam – is considered the most influential fresco in the history of Western art. See it with no crowds, linger over every detail, and earn one-of-a-kind bragging rights for the rest of your life!
- All entrance fees included
- Editor's Pick
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Treat a loved one on a special occasion
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to the secret rooms varies and is based on availability, but most tours include the impressive Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante), which is actually a ramp on the corner of the Pope's Palace. You’ll also most likely visit the Room of Gold (Sala degli Ori), an opulent, rarely seen room that holds a dazzling collection of papal gold jewelry and precious Etruscan jewels.
The Niccoline Chapel (Cappella Niccolina) is another secret room most likely seen during your tour. Every bit as beautiful as the Sistine Chapel, this secret room is adorned with gold brought back from Christopher Columbus' travels, and frescoes by Fra Angelico, a Renaissance painter whose mesmerizing artwork pre-dates Michelangelo's.
In addition to the closed rooms, see many of the Vatican Museums’ classic attractions. As your expert guide entertains you with tales of Vatican art, power and treachery, admire Apollo Belvedere and other renowned monuments. Visit Raphael’s Rooms, the public part of the papal apartments in the Palace of the Vatican, and stroll through the Pinecone Courtyard.
Your tour ends on a high note with private access to the Sistine Chapel for your small group. After the doors close to the public, you'll have 30 minutes inside this incredible (and empty!) chapel. Speaking is typically forbidden, but during this private experience, your guide will explain Michelangelo's stunning ceiling fresco, which depicts scenes from Genesis, and his wall fresco, The Last Judgment.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
It sells out regularly so book now to save your space.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Viator VIP Access: Sistine Chapel Private Viewing and Small-Group Tour of the Vatican's Secret Rooms
- Entrance fees
- Skip-the-line entry
- Small-group tour
- After-hours access to the Sistine Chapel
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- No large bags/tripods/umbrellas/backpacks are permitted in the Vatican and must be checked in. Only very small purses are allowed. Please do not bring these items as you will need to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance
- Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to the secret rooms varies and is based on availability
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering the Vatican Museums. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that these items are not taken on this tour
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
· Sistine Chapel, home to artwork by Michelangelo including The Creation of Adam and The Last Judgment
· Apollo Belvedere statue
· Lacoon statue
· Raphael's Rooms
· Pinecone Courtyard
· Gallery of Maps
· Gallery of the Candelabra
· Gallery of the Tapestries
· Chiaramonti Museum
Secret Rooms of the Vatican Museums (subject to change):
· Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
· Room of Gold (Sala degli Ori)
· Niccoline Chapel (Cappella Niccolina)
Reviewed by: Brian E, July 2015
This tour is expensive -- no doubt -- but it is worth the money. Excellent guide and incredible access. The first part of the tour is amazing -- seeing things that others don't, which means no crowds around you while doing so. Our guide kept things very well-paced and was a wealth of knowledge. In addition to special access, we saw many rooms as the museum was closing which meant that guards were ushering other visitors out just as we were arriving -- giving us private access to them as well. We were let into the Sistine Chapel just as it was closing -- we entered from the front of the Chapel and were held to the corner behind a rope while guards ushered last visitors out the back entrance. When they were gone, we were left alone in the Chapel with our guide. Surreal. Because he could talk not possible during normal hours he could explain things in incredible detail that brought the Chapel to life. It was an incredible experience.
Reviewed by: Jacob U, July 2015
It's the best way to see the Vatican museums. Having time to see the Sistine Chapel in a totally private environment, and having each part explained, was in and of itself worth the tour. Highly recommended that you take this tour, but be sure to wear the most comfortable shoes you can, and be well rested, its a long tour, and by the end, the whole group was exhausted. It's nice at the end to be able to sit and stare up at Michelangelo's greatest creations.